Store Spare Tire in P/U Cab?

fwcer

Can I store a spare tire in the cab of my pickup truck?

I am having an aluminim flatbed designed to carry an Alaskan Camper. The designer says the spare will not fit under the flatbed.

After removing the back seat of the P/U (I am thinking of getting a new Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 or a F-350 Ford 4x4), I would like to firmly secure the spare tire in the back of the cab.

Three questions:

1. Is this doable?
2. Will it void the warranty on a new truck?
3. How many people have done this?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Instead of worrying about your questions I would tell the "designer" to add that to your list of needed features. And if he cant figure out how maybe you need a new "designer". Unless you're buying a chassis cab (and possibly even if you are, i just dont know much abt chassis cabs other than the fact the rear frame is flat) the frame is already "set" for underbody mounting of the spare and it shouldnt be too difficult to add the lowering hardware to the new flatbed.

I would either replace the designer or if you're planning on running some size tire/wheel that precludes underbody mount then I would figure out how to add a swing out on the rear. I know the last place I want a swampy/muddy/dusty/dirty flat tire is in the cab with me.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

I am having an aluminim flatbed designed to carry an Alaskan Camper. The designer says the spare will not fit under the flatbed.

After removing the back seat of the P/U (I am thinking of getting a new Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 or a F-350 Ford 4x4), I would like to firmly secure the spare tire in the back of the cab.

Three questions:

1. Is this doable?

Only downside I can see is that your cab will smell strongly like tire rubber, other than that you will be fine....

jadmt

ignore button user
just make sure it is as you said mounted securely so it does not take someones head off in a crash. I can see no possible way it would void the warranty. Remember spares are for cowards as only a brave man would leave home without one.. or was that foolish man? I always get that saying mixed up..

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't know why the flatbed would interfere with the spare, unless they are somehow needing the stowage space for the camper conversion, waste water? potable water tanks?
Typically the spare mount is attached to the frame, on a pickup. So taking the bed off shouldn't be removing the spare stowage.

eta, I'm not seeing much sense in buying a brand new pickup just to take it apart. The most expensive way to go.

chet6.7

Explorer

Three questions:

1. Is this doable?
It is doable,if you use the factory points that secured the seat I don't see how the warranty would be an issue.To keep it clean when replacing a flat an RV tire protector might work.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Have you thought about mounting a receiver on the front of the truck, and mounting the spare tire to it? Seems like a better alternative than having an 80 lb weight inside the cab that could come loose in a front end collision.

bluejeep

just a guy
Not a PU cab, but same concept. Very solid, no smells, easy in / out. Bought cover in case I need to swap out a blown tire that's messy. For me it was an effort to get the weight off the tailgate, not the same issue you have, but it shows it can be done.w cover.jpg

Attachments

• w cover 2.jpg
    w cover 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • w cover 3.jpg
    w cover 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles