Storage/sleeping platform: sourcing FRP honeycomb panels?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Look at multi wall polycarbonate roofing sheet.
The bottom one in this pic is 18mm thick and weighs 3.1kg/m2, which is less than half the weight of FRP honeycomb panels the same thickness.
P1050171E.JPG
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

rruff

Explorer
Look at multi wall polycarbonate roofing sheet.
The bottom one in this pic is 18mm thick and weighs 3.1kg/m2, which is less than half the weight of FRP honeycomb panels the same thickness.
In which case it would not be nearly as stiff or strong... and plastic creeps. The fiberglass in FRP makes a big difference. The more fiberglass the better.

Plastic has some good applications though...

simple

Adventurer
When I ordered 4 panels from Carbon Core it qualified for free shipping and I think it had to go to a commercial address. That was a couple years ago now.

simple

Adventurer
I found a material that has a plascore core with aluminum skins bonded to it and got samples for a project. It was quite stiff but wasn't as low cost as I wanted.

rruff

Explorer
When I ordered 4 panels from Carbon Core it qualified for free shipping and I think it had to go to a commercial address. That was a couple years ago now.
My experience was a little before that, and you had to buy $3k worth to get free shipping. Otherwise $350 was the shipping cost.

overl4nder

Observer
I am building a rooftop tent (wedge shaped)

I originally planned it with 1515 T slots and cost was too much.

Now I have found unistrut which is cheaper

Here is what it will look like
1699919500055.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That feels like a lot of Unistrut. Most Unistrut is relatively heavy, not designed with weight in mind. In general, I would say that it makes a lot of sense to use over T-slot aluminum, but have you thought about using a stiffer base panel and much less Unistrut?

Which strut are you planning? There are many types.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94