Storage Platform for sale....good price?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
$300 might be a little pricey but it would definitely be more if you paid someone to do it.... But I'm with you on the lack of wood working skills. I tried my hand at making a sleeping platform and the thing is completely off haha. Offer him $200...

t4rFL

Adventurer
what's the approx. cost in supplies to build one of this size?

i might even see if he'd sell w/o the sub, cause i don't need one anyways.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You might be able to get away with 1/2" plywood, or thinner, depending on your joinery technique/technology. 3/4" gets used a lot because you can just end-screw into butt joints. For 1/2", you need to get fancier about how you build the box.

That said, go check it out and evaluate the hardware and level of finish. You can spend $80+ per pair on the drawer slides alone if they're the heavy-duty locking types. Add in the ever-rising price of wood and you could easily eclipse the "high cost" of that item by trying to make it just a bit lighter, etc. For reference, I just picked up two 4x8 sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch for a recent project and my out-the-door total on wood and a small cut-charge was $140.

You might decide having something built and done is worth it. Sell the sub and offset your costs. Then, if you want to lighten it up later you can look at hogging out holes in the hidden panels or rebuilding the drawer boxes out of lighter material once you're feeling more confident in your abilities.

plh

Explorer
Probably a fair deal. If you were to ask a cabinet shop to build you one and you said your budget was $300 they would laugh. May not be perfect, but a 4x8 sheet of plywood runs darned near $50 these days, and there is guessing 1 1/2 to 2 in it, plus carpet adhesive other misc... $150 in material. Generally any shop in my area is $50 to $60 an hour... 8 to 16 hours to design/build. You get the picture.

amo292

Adventurer
That sounds like a great deal to me if you have limited skills like me. I built a box for my truck and the material alone cost me $100.

AaronK

Explorer
Probably a fair deal. If you were to ask a cabinet shop to build you one and you said your budget was $300 they would laugh. May not be perfect, but a 4x8 sheet of plywood runs darned near $50 these days, and there is guessing 1 1/2 to 2 in it, plus carpet adhesive other misc... $150 in material. Generally any shop in my area is $50 to $60 an hour... 8 to 16 hours to design/build. You get the picture.
For a hardwood ply. A CDX panel would be much cheaper especially if you're going to carpet it and knots are of no consequence.

That said without the tools and woodworking skills, this probably isn't a bad deal.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Hell I've got fine woodworking skills ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayra/sets/72157647976429985/ ) and that looks like a reasonable deal at $300, finished as it is. Depends what condition the wood is in and what sort of hardware he has on it. And it's certainly far less money than you'll pay to have one built, if you wont or can't do it yourself. It would be at least about $200-250, with low grade hardware just for the materials to build it.

brice

I don't know if I could build that for $300 by the time you purchase the wood, carpet, adhesive, slides, screws, glue, and hinges. Looks like a deal to me if it is decent quality.

brushogger

Explorer
You might decide having something built and done is worth it. Sell the sub and offset your costs. Then, if you want to lighten it up later you can look at hogging out holes in the hidden panels or rebuilding the drawer boxes out of lighter material once you're feeling more confident in your abilities.
This is great advice. Buy a 2" hole saw and look for fat in the hidden areas. Not much in the way of woodworking skills required for that. Looks like a good deal to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles