Storage on the outside on the window?

eugene

Explorer
I don't know what its called to search to see if its been asked. I see this new trend, first with the ads for the new LandRover where it has a storage box on the outside of the rear window. Looking around different social media sites I see people doing this a lot now, various mounting methods ranging from a frame coming down off of a roof rack to suction cups. Does anyone really do this? Looks like they would be ripped off easy by tree branches or something. Are they actually practical?

grizzlypath

I recently built a mount for a small Pelican style case to be mounted to the rear side glass of my SUV (if you search GrizzlyPath on YouTube you'll find a video I did).

Regarding aftermarket and/or DIY suction cup mounts, I did the math and the force applied to the window is extremely minimal. Especially the more vertical your window is. Whatever you have it mounted to on the roof is what is going to bear most of the load. In this instance, my diesel heater in the case is approximately 30-lbs.

I live in a heavily wooded area and based on what I've seen I wouldn't worry too much about it being ripped off. One would want to be cognizant about it, but it's pretty dang sturdy. Obviously depends on how you build it.

You didn't ask, but in this instance I wanted a solution outside of keeping it on my roof (when no roof space is available) or in a hitch cargo carrier. Additionally, I didn't want to keep it in the vehicle because of the diesel.

I should also add that I used easy to remove knobs so the thing comes off in seconds which is great.

IMG_2624.jpg8778E2F7-0367-4078-8E2B-E6A5D509E56B.jpg

IMG_2543.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-17 183618.jpg

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
You didn't ask, but in this instance I wanted a solution outside of keeping it on my roof (when no roof space is available) or in a hitch cargo carrier. Additionally, I didn't want to keep it in the vehicle because of the diesel.
Well, I asked if they were practice and you gave a practice example.
You do drive with it on there as well? I would think a big bump if could flex and crack the window.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I might consider carrying a box off the quarter panel below the window, but never on or covering a window.

grizzlypath

Well, I asked if they were practice and you gave a practice example.
You do drive with it on there as well? I would think a big bump if could flex and crack the window.

Yeah it stays mounted to this location the entire time until I get home. There really isn't a lot of force being applied to the glass. I did the math and even with big bumps it's very minimal. Any force is distributed pretty well by the two 3" suction cups as well. Haven't had any issues at all personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles