Storage box options

thebmrust

Not an advert, I just can’t find the thread that talks about storage boxes (it mentioned Home Depot Ridgid tool boxes). I ran across these on Amazon today for $99:

Goplus Portable Tool Box Detachable 3 in 1 Tool Organizer with 4 Wheels, 3 Handles Mobile Demountable Removable Tool Storage Box Set for Home, Garage and Work Shop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F83K6GM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HqtdCbWNM5XJA

Features that look nice are that they don’t seem to lose much in the way of cubic inches by voids in the design structure. They stack well, and latch. Not sure if they are weather resistant, so it probably safe to say they aren’t. So that limits their use on a roof rack.

Also seen online are two new cases from Harbor Freight:
4800 box (18x12x7) $60
double rifle case (53x16x6) $150

The thing I like best about them is that they stack up and come with a dolly. I can put certain gear in there that I don't want to leave in my truck at all times. When I am not using I can stack it up and move it easily out of the way.

s.e.charles

rayra

Expedition Leader
kinda pricey, kinda constraining, unless you mean to use it as a chuck / kitchen box. Generally a better deal is a tote-sized big empty volume container which is also strong enough to sit on. Like an ice chest.
In fact an inexpensive ice chest works great, just as much volume, more durable and one quarter the price. You can get a 48-50qt for ~$30 this time of year.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Tried many (and will likely be forever looking for something better);
What I currently use are a combination of metal/traditional military ammo boxes; critter resistant (for food items) and Harbor freight (Apache) cases (for, in-tent, under cot storage of stuff/things);

Relatively strong easy to carry/load etc. water resistant, store under a regular cot in the tent (measure the cot height with the user on it and make sure the tote/storage box is less before purchasing)..

For me almost any thing beats a tall tote/box; short totes & boxes (under the cot/bed storage height) are easier to find things in. Even used some wally-mart plastic drawers for a while because they too were an improvement on tall totes.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For me almost any thing beats a tall tote/box; short totes & boxes (under the cot/bed storage height) are easier to find things in. Even used some wally-mart plastic drawers for a while because they too were an improvement on tall totes.

I used to agree on tall totes. It was too easy for things to shift around, and small items always tended to migrate to the bottom. Soft things tended to get squished. My solution was to build lightweight organizer panels (like DIY "Trekpak", but larger) to subdivide the space. Now I LOVE big lightweight totes.

Bq97kqDzVlJBMlW_aFmGnsK1n56qEpf-PaJhKj8kYabaTKKypk4ZcGx_o8sETUiidKXu5kHsBMRsT2dlcdCeI2eklNVBLT5I-DtHxkWukMbBQBQXIoVPm4RquU1iNUGxzBmXHFvrhXSVDb-oxjZxGiq3tTdSkfgcIkr4M8FoneyMaDZ2QwTkwzIIcJA7dBj0TPxTNJxdBPGesIFzd12_odJrZcNH-jC3BAdZv5I-xoQQ4jo19pmJoZL-qokP3zLehU-F0papYIsWCuHhQ4LzhckdOKLEGvANiLvySnLXI9kGERP5itkpiive4iZAVQ_0dAnyLXU3A6OV_OtMTCTv77bQpMxhsz-ydCCUYUBSTNtsj-Gzd9Y4MhambW9ve64z5hokaSfqeTBTqp6ArOcgOGZLspLd16spNwyWTGvxDvo4-BKKgjVQGnYmRf47c3CVcb3o99U_dBjMuRCAtiYxb18cpAbPB3gpqQ9D0Wo4B_Ae-OFvpCO8GAgkykI831T6TyzvfpPjUsoMy8gpV7N3wiKcI7UQbMMkxnSvWtrXwQ7akc9Ea8YwjkkajtR0ZiSd7EzbIM5GS_MNltLNF_K0ZSnCHoEq4T-c9ixaqTuJGuUYfO9roi_PYjE9DnaZsMl7YdXccIWKxU58V5awEmbToFQEMAWa5jbus7VRfkBTXF592RDZudtFkEqwHG-LxTlPgI6c0NgvFf1IyrvqloYNte3tl9WeZ11vPyLRcExeNYCb1WivnA=w600

Full details on my blog here.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I need a solution for storage on a rooftop Rhino Pioneer platform that I can use ratchet straps on. I was looking at the FrontRunner wolf packs but they dont appear to have anywhere to thread the strap through/or into. I’ve seen some on top of various rigs but never paid attention to the mounting options. As far as the platform goes I dont plan on using Rhinoracks’ rail system, just the eyebolt mounts.
Any suggestions?

shade

I need a solution for storage on a rooftop Rhino Pioneer platform that I can use ratchet straps on. I was looking at the FrontRunner wolf packs but they dont appear to have anywhere to thread the strap through/or into. I’ve seen some on top of various rigs but never paid attention to the mounting options. As far as the platform goes I dont plan on using Rhinoracks’ rail system, just the eyebolt mounts.
Any suggestions?
These Plano boxes have some side cleats that can be used as tie down points.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Any suggestions?

The Wolf Pack has a grooves running across the top that a strap grabs. They stay nice and tight on the rack when strapped down.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Any suggestions?

If you want to be a real Overlander, then Frontrunner has official Wolf Pack mounting bracket for your roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles