Stopgap semi project. 2013 Pathfinder Platinum.

dbhost

It was cheap. It suits 90% of my needs, and my 4x4 pickup build is ongoing. But, while the weather is reasonable I need to camp.

My daily us a 13 Pathfinder Platinum FWD. Not exactly an off roader. Seriously considering just having a go at it anyway and at least beach camp with this thing.

What can I do to get the most out of this, basically minivan?

Last edited:

(none)

Adventurer
FWD is going to be your biggest hangup most likely with beach driving. Hows the CVT trans on those hold up?

When all else fails, make up for the lack of traction with speed and momentum!!

dbhost

I haven't driven a lot of vehicles with CVTs however I know this one year in particular had known problems with that and there was A TSB from Nissan and this car has had the TSB service done according to the paperwork.

The vehicles I have driven before with this type of transmission I just don't like. End of story this particular car really isn't that offensive. You put your foot in the gas and it just accelerates it is a weird feeling though because it doesn't really shift exactly I don't know how to describe what it does.

It is a platinum edition so it has the traction control which may actually be problematic on the sand from what I've heard but I can turn it off. And yes it's front wheel drive not all wheel dri've.

Obviously I can't wait until I get my F150 4 wheel drive put back together...

However the condition of this thing the price tag and my needs other than overlanding really kind of overrode any concern for offer stability with this car I just want to be able to go camping between weekends where I'm going to be wrenching on the truck.

dbhost

Come to think of it the biggest problem it has ground clearance wise is the exhaust going around the rear suspension.

dbhost

Roof rack cross bars out for delivery... going to Home Depot to get 2 joints of 3/4 emt cut to 6'. Add a coupler and I have a mount for the Ozark Trail 12x12 tarp shelter.

Got a pair of SUV window tents so I can get some fresh airflow, bug free and rain free.

Honestly if this rig was even a passable off roader....

Last edited:

dbhost

Home Depot run did not happen yesterday. After work today. Planning on securing in camp with paracord and cinching to the roof rack.

Will likely pitch across the roof so rain runoff sheds on the non covered side of the car...

dbhost

Home Depot happened. 2 10ft EMT conduit joints cut to 6ft. Coupler. Now I need to locate the grommets, mark and drill...

dbhost

So with all the off road acumen of a 10 speed bicycle (yeah I am that old) progress continues on project stopgap. The ikey system error the dealer had contracted to fix, actually appears to be fixed... Yay... Not sure if it is new parts, or the cleaning / detailng the dealer did, but there are stickers on the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder. I have NEVER seen a car with more than negligible use let alone a deep cleaning have any sorts of decals / stickers stay stuck to either of these components, and the pedal is slightly squishy. I suspect a master cylinder was replaced and the system not properly bled. I need to lay my hands on a service manual for this as I have never had an opportunity to bleed brakes on an ABS equipped vehicle, again I am that old... I have heard on some models the ABS module needs to be bled, THEN out to the wheel cylinders...

The SUV Window Tents came in earlier in the week, I finally installed and tested them. They do allow some flow through ventilation, but it really does need to be assisted unless it is a downright windy night... bI have an O2 Cool battery fan that can do the job, I just need to figure out how to hang it...

Load in is okay. Scaled way back from the truck design, but mattress, LIfetime 55qt, coleman stove, cook kit, serviceware, folding chair etc.. all fits. All that is left is again figure out the brakes issue and the awning and head on out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz