Stolen Rooftop Tent - Keep your eyes out please

Ds4x4

Observer
Hi everyone, a Tepui customer had his Autana roof top tent stolen right off his truck while he and his wife were out climbing in western North Carolina. Please keep your eyes open for this and post up if you have any information to its whereabouts.
It is about 4 years old but still in decent condition. The base is covered in a bunch of stickers, most are from different breweries.
Any help would be appreciated. You can post info here or please call Tepui at 800-301-9874 if you have any information.
Thank you!
That sucks. I'm in Hampton Va/ VA Beach area so I'll keep an eye out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Greg_Volkman

Observer
stick a second set of nuts on the bolts and weld them on. can be cut off with a cutting wheel or dremel later. bolts are cheap.

huang

This thread inspired me to lock down my tent with Bryce fasteners. I can't imagine coming back from a hike with the family and find my tent gone. Thieves are scum, I neglected to lock my truck the other night and some low life stole my gym bag with sweaty gym cloths. PITA!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'd totally lock down an RTT better on a roof rack. My Tepui is bolted to my trailer's lid so I'd probably lose my whole trailer.

In fact I've been thinking about getting a GPS tracker for my trailer. Amazon has several, one that has a month to month $25 service. It's suppose to email or text if it begins to move, which a tracker could also be put inside the RTT assuming one has cell service. I'm most worried about overnight theft at a motel parking lot...

Spot makes one with $99 per year tracking and the device is $99. Likely what I will use if I do a trailer.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
stick a second set of nuts on the bolts and weld them on. can be cut off with a cutting wheel or dremel later. bolts are cheap.

Sad to say that would take a thief about 2 minutes or less to cut off any exposed bolts or brackets with a cordless sawzall or cutoff wheel if they plan it out and know what they are doing, something that size is seldom taken by a random clueless passerby. If you can somehow mount it to a lid or low enough on a rack where there is virtually impossible to access with a tool then you should be okay, but then you usually have exposed cross bars than can easily be cut. I'm just throwing out ideas on how to prevent potential theft but there really is no way to prevent it if someone wants it bad enough, just insure and secure best we can and let karma take care of the rest I guess.

TACO.HOG

just had my ikamper skycamp stolen off my trailer. it was parked on base at camp pendleton. Located in vicinity of San Clemente

Attachments

• 20190413_171710.jpg
    20190413_171710.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

shoredreamer

Observer
Sorry to hear about this. Where’d you buy your iKamper from? All Skycamp tents have a serial number on the underside of the wing portion of the floor, if you can find the number it can help to pinpoint your tent down the line. Did you have the locking mounting brackets?

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Theft is a concern of mine too. I purchased security nuts from Fastenal. Basically a cone shaped nut that requires a special socket to remove. Will this stop a prepared thief with tools?, probably not. But it will stop opportunity theft, i.e. meth head who steals anything they can carry off.
Hotels freak me out, as high theft places I like to avoid. I will use cable and lock, wrapped around tent and roof rack. I found a nice cable with built in lock, MasterLock Python cable lock, where you feed the free end back thru the lock, creating a giant loop, that you can cinch down really tight. Goal is really just to deter some one from trying to steal it. Never sleep good when my rig is packed for a trip and its parked at a hotel.

overlandzr2

There is a company that makes security nuts (kind of like wheel locks) for these tents. They make them for all kinds of brands. The company is called Pine & Steel I believe. There is also an ebay link from some reseller selling at a discount. Here is what I found: eBay https://ebay.us/xPMODe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles