Stoked about the new Gofast camper

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
I really wanted to be in on the first round of Tundra models, but life got in the way, really really in the way.

Will the first gen Tundra models just be a one production run kind of thing? I should be in a better position to order one in the late summer/fall or even for next spring.

Ps, looks like we could be moving to Montana soonish, I’d love to stop by and check out the campers.

Zkrob

The problem with the 2015+ Colorado/Canyon is that the antenna assembly provides GPS/XM/Onstar/AM and FM signals. The only ones of those I care about are GPS and XM (for traffic), so I would need some sort of way to relocate the GPS and XM antennas to the top of the GoFast near the front hinge with a selection switch to switch between the 2 sources, or maybe in the bay where the windshield wipers are like I did in my F350 with truck camper which could be permanent. I realize this is not really a problem with the GoFast design as any type of camper or cargo up there would block it, but it's something I would need to figure out. The only post I could find about someone doing that was here: http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-2nd-gen-electronics-audio-lighting/314386-xm-cell-data-gps-am-fm-antenna-anatomy.html

The part I am talking about removing and/or relocating is the tip. Retaining the smaller base is necessary as you stated. The tip is only for radio. The xm/onstar etc functionality is retained in the base so by removing the tip you gain a lot of clearance without removing a lot of functionality. The reason the base isn’t a shark fin is cause our trucks have the radio integrated into it. If we had a radio antenna on the hood like the 2018 Silverado then it would be a shark fin. As is though if you were able to relocate the radio antenna then you would retain all functions. Would be cool if you could just plug in the camper to that base and it act as the antenna since it’s a giant piece of metal anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyfree

The part I am talking about removing and/or relocating is the tip. Retaining the smaller base is necessary as you stated. The tip is only for radio. The xm/onstar etc functionality is retained in the base so by removing the tip you gain a lot of clearance without removing a lot of functionality. The reason the base isn't a shark fin is cause our trucks have the radio integrated into it. If we had a radio antenna on the hood like the 2018 Silverado then it would be a shark fin. As is though if you were able to relocate the radio antenna then you would retain all functions. Would be cool if you could just plug in the camper to that base and it act as the antenna since it's a giant piece of metal anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, removing the antenna gives you clearance, but good luck getting XM or GPS through an obstacle like a popup camper. The Onstar/cell would be just fine and relocating the antenna would be relatively easy, but in my experience XM and GPS are very sensitive to any type of obstacle since they both need line-of-site to the satellites more than 12,000 miles away.

Zkrob

Right, removing the antenna gives you clearance, but good luck getting XM or GPS through an obstacle like a popup camper. The Onstar/cell would be just fine and relocating the antenna would be relatively easy, but in my experience XM and GPS are very sensitive to any type of obstacle since they both need line-of-site to the satellites more than 12,000 miles away.

True. I don't have Nav or use XM. With or without the antenna the problem you are stating still exists. My iPad has my maps, and have a Garmin in the event I need it; plus Nav doesn't have off road maps. Either way I think relocating the antenna with the camper lower to the roof is more ideal than locating the camper 5 inches above the roof line. Also, the bed walls are taller than a Tacoma, so the frame wouldn't need to be as tall to retain the same amount of standing room, etc.

sqrlnts

I have a 6.5' f150. Would the XL version fit my bed size? What dimensions exactly change in the XL version?
Thanks

AzMiik

I have a 6.5' f150. Would the XL version fit my bed size? What dimensions exactly change in the XL version?
Thanks

Same boat (truck) here. Can't wait for Expo West to see one in person. Any chance there will be an XL there as well?

Mike

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
After debating getting an extended cab Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon I found a great deal on a RC/SB Silverado. Hopefully you guys get enough interest from other GM owners, that this will be an option in a year or so. I'm not worried about pre-order deals as GFC is 14 hours away from me, easy enough to drive out in person.

Last edited:

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Love this camper. Another cool side thing thats probably not important to anyone, but me, is the fact that the structure looks extremely stout. I just imagine my pups in their kennels and this thing keeping them from getting smashed in a roll over. Cool side benefit. Not very likely to happen, but a plus. Hopefully you get the xl version worked out

aaen

Adventurer
Well, the cage might b strong, but I doubt he sides of the taco are. I’d still worry about the dogs.

Hi,

I'm the designer and a partner in GFC so I should be able to answer any questions. The tube structure is the frame for the lower portion of the camper. The frame will be wrapped in either canvas (like a can-bak or softtopper) with sides that roll up, or in aluminum panels. There will be an insulated liner option for the upper and lower not long after we start shipping. For the aluminum paneled version there will be a rear glass window and on the soft side version there will be a zip open plastic window.

Weight on the soft-sided version (upper and lower combined) will be under 200 lbs, and about 245 for the hard-sided model.

While technically you could separate the two, we'll initially only be selling them as a unit. That said, we will eventually be offering the popup portion as a stand-alone RTT with a solid floor, or as a kit that could be integrated into a van top. We will also be selling the lower as a stand-alone topper without the popup.

Are you going to offer up an option for the land cruiser folk?/ I can get a dozen sales easy enough I believe

earlyman

As you approach the production date, I was thinking it's about time for you to release some more photos. Preferably of the double-cab short bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles