Stock Tacoma - suspension update options

quincytrout

I’ve got a 2015 Tacoma that I use for weekend climbing trips (wildernest or truck topper) and I use daily for work. I regularly max out the payload during the work week (pallets of tile, hauling demo debris off job sites) and I want to beef up my suspension for those trips, as well as for when we’ve got the wildernest and a car full of gear. I’ve been researching airbags vs. leaf springs, but can’t decide which to shoot for. Any suggestions?

shade

I’ve got a 2015 Tacoma that I use for weekend climbing trips (wildernest or truck topper) and I use daily for work. I regularly max out the payload during the work week (pallets of tile, hauling demo debris off job sites) and I want to beef up my suspension for those trips, as well as for when we’ve got the wildernest and a car full of gear. I’ve been researching airbags vs. leaf springs, but can’t decide which to shoot for. Any suggestions?
Lots of options. If you want to keep the budget small, you can get by with upgrading the rear only, but your truck may end up with a fair bit of rake to it. The simplest upgrade would be adding Timbren bump stop replacements or a similar rubber spring to the OEM springs. The rubber springs can still be used later on if you decide against air bags.

You may be able to get a better price on a package deal. Unless something has changed, Marie at Headstrong Offroad has a long history of working through a variety of quality products at fair prices. There are other retailers, but Marie is a good place to start.

If you decide on air bags, using Daystar cradles will keep the bags from being torn apart from over extension.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run Old Man Emu CS047R rear leafs with one extra D29XL leaf added in each pack. So my rear packs are 4 main full length leafs, 2 intermediate length and 2 super thick overloads. Couldn't tell you exactly the spring rate but it's an upper middle-to-heavy weight pack and I'd guess about 240 lb/in on the main pack and 450 lb/in with all the leafs fully engaged.

I have roughly 2.5" of lift with typical loads, including a fridge in back, Action Packers with stuff, camp stove. It works fine for me but I don't vary between daily and recreational configuration much, it's mostly just a recreational truck and I prefer simple springs since there's less to fail but that's an individual thing.

IMG_1389_mid.jpg

Last edited:

shade

I have a double cab, but otherwise, the weight I carry is probably similar to Dave's truck. I have the same rear springs with the top overload leaf removed, and TImbren SES bump stop replacements inverted to keep crud from building up in their cavities. That worked fine until I added more constant weight with a GFC camper. I have the D29XL leaf to add this winter for more support; not sure if I'll add the top overload back. I have a rear shock mount relocation kit to install, along with longer King 2.0 shocks, and new spring hangers/shackles.

I have Fox 2.0 shocks with reservoirs on the rear, and Fox 2.5 coilovers on the front. I have an aluminum plate bumper, synthetic winch line, and a single battery, so I didn't feel the need to use 700 lb springs on the front. I also added SuperBump bump stop replacements to the front. If you lift the front 2" or more, you may want to add aftermarket upper control arms (UCAs) to allow for more positive caster angle. I have JBA brand ball joint UCAs, and have been happy with them. I've used Light Racing UCAs, but decided I wanted something a little less fiddly.

Adding the Timbren SES to the rear made a big difference immediately, and I wasn't in a hurry to do more than that until I started towing more.

Last edited:

roving1

I used these with completely shot leafs on a 1st gen. They worked great to let me use the truck for trips including one to Mexico where I brought stuff for work and literally would have been on the bump stops. Best part you can put them on other leaf sprung vehicles too. I got the XX versions which were one up in capacity from from the baseline. They are easily adjustable with wheels on the ground, In fact you have to per the instructions with 2 wrenches and a socket. Can't say enough about them.

I probably have 900 lbs and 2 people in the truck on this trip due to last minute work items I had to take.

PANO_20190103_154942.jpgPANO_20190109_113854.jpg

Last edited:

shade

I used these with completely shot leafs on a 1st gen. They worked great to let me use the truck for trips including one to Mexico where I brought stuff for work and literally would have been on the bump stops. Best part you can put them on other leaf sprung vehicles too. I got the XX versions which were one up in capacity from from the baseline. Can't say enough about them.

I probably have 900 lbs and 2 people in the truck on this truck due to last minute work items I had to take.

View attachment 539224View attachment 539225
It's always nice when the job pays for vacation gas. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz