Stock Recovery Points?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Seems like everyone has custom bumpers with recovery points, but for those of us that are still running stock bumpers - what can we use as a recovery point?

Rear - Is this strong enough for a snatch strap?

IMG_2715.jpg

Front - The two hooks in the front look pretty weak, probably just for securing the vehicle during shipment right?

rp2.jpg

My Montero is a 97 but for what it's worth, the factory front "recovery points" on a Gen 3 proved plenty strong during Mitsu's testing. Check out this test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXixsvjDjY
Does anyone know if the Gen 3 front recovery points are identical to the Gen 2 or 2.5?

I would say they're plenty strong. Just be cautious as always. Pull slowly and with the proper recovery equipment and you should be fine

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Front gen2 recovery point is on the RHS, and is a hook. The LHS is flatter and is definitely tie-down only.

As for the back, I've used it on several vehicles. Using the right technique and equipment with it, the rear tow point is more than adequate.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Front gen2 recovery point is on the RHS, and is a hook. The LHS is flatter and is definitely tie-down only.

As for the back, I've used it on several vehicles. Using the right technique and equipment with it, the rear tow point is more than adequate.

When you've used these points did you hook a shackle up to them?

Also, congrats on the Evo!

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Thanks! :) Loving it so far.

I always use a shackle on the rear since it is a closed loop (shackles with a stamped WLL, working load limit, are the way to go), but just a strap on front since it's an open hook.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have pulled up tree stumps and fence posts with concrete anchors and the fence still attached using the front J hook, you should be fine.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Thx guys, interesting that over here ppl seem to think the factory points are fine and on overseas pajero forums everyone swears that these points are too weak/dangerous to snatch with (especially in the front).

I'm going to remove the rear loop pictured and inspect the back of it, i heard the back isn't even welded. If thats the case i definitely am not going to trust it for snatching and will install a 10 ton pintle hitch in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazdax605

Observer
I really want to add some sort of front recovery points on my Delica, but I have no idea how to do it on a unibody vehicle. Any ideas?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I welded D-rings on my truck front and back, I've seen the front hooks straightened from being pulled and have broken one off with a sledge hammer. Also have seen them last forever with no issues, depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I welded D-rings on my truck front and back, I've seen the front hooks straightened from being pulled and have broken one off with a sledge hammer. Also have seen them last forever with no issues, depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.

Got any pics of the D rings you attached?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Sell the uni body and buy a vehicle with a frame, problem solved.

Not a very helpful answer, is it?

My Gen III is a unibody vehicle with solid front recovery points, so there's obviously a less dramatic way to do it than selling out.

Out of using the stock locations thousands of times, i have only seen 1 failure and that was the front hook bending after some brutal jerking. Any of the 3 are fine. Shackle works best for the one with just a hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94