Stock JKUR wheels?

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Hi all, I have a '13 Rubicon and plan to put an AEV 2.5" Dualsport suspension kit on it.

What is the biggest tire size I can put on the stock rim? I don't really want to buy new rims if I can fit a big enough tire on the stock rim.

Please advise this JK newb...!

Thanks!

BBailey

Explorer
35's should fit without issue though they'd be more efficient on a wider wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

Observer
There are folks in the club I wheel with running 35x12.5x17s on the stock JK wheels, but IIRC they're also running Spidertrax wheel spacers to accommodate the extra width. Otherwise they'd rub.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I'm running 315/70r17 (35x12.50) BFG ATS on the stock rims. Getting good wear and performance. You will need the 1.5" spacers. I've got Spidertrax.

qyguqu6e.jpg

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I thought I had read somewhere that the biggest tire Jeep recommends for Rubi wheels is 285/75/17's and that some (discount tire) places refuse to install a tire bigger than that. Someone also said some places won't work on a rig with wheel spacers. Did any of you guys have issues when getting your bigger tires installed?

I put on a 2.5" lift yesterday with Rubi take offs and got them to fit without spacers (I installed the rear sway links with both ends on the inside.) I really like the stock rims but have a hard time paying $240 for (4) spacers when thats the price of 2 rims with correct backspacing. That and I'm concerned the tire shop I've been going to for years won't work on my vehicle.

Hondarider

Adventurer
I've got 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s on my stock rims...no troubles at all...using Spidertrax spacers as mentioned above. The tire shop didn't question the combination of tires and rims.

gregaf3

Observer
In all honesty spidertrax are not actually spacers in the way that tire shops think of spacers. They are actually adapters. Spacers are just that spacers. It would be like adding washers to make a bolt stick out far. The fact that the spidertrax have separate sets of studs makes them adapters. Also another good thing about the spidertrax is that they are hub-centric. Use that logic when you talk to the tire place.

These are good examples of spacers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-sp601?seid=srese1&gclid=CPLz0euq0rwCFUqSfgod40AAVg

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
My local Discount Tire wouldn't mount the tires on my wheels because BFGoodrich specs out a minimum wheel width of 8.5". I used a shop by my work and they had no problem, were cheaper on the tires to boot! I've now switched over to them for my tire needs. It's a local shop. Another bonus was that the owner group also runs an off-road shop, so they keep the larger tires in stock. They had 50 of the BFGs in stock where as Discount had 2 in the west region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justincredible

Adventurer
You can fit 35s on the stock wheels no problem, but without spacers you will rub when you turn.

Rough Country sells spacers for half the cost of SpiderTrax. People will say "you get what you pay for", but I've never seen a report of either failing.
It's a machined hunk of aluminum with studs in it. Not exactly high tech machinery.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Consider the value of your stock wheels on Craigslist, ($400-600) and then the additional cost of spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Adventurer
Sell the rims and get some after markets. :) I have mb72's wrapped in bfg km2's 35x12.5x15 no spacers no issues. On my wife's rig I put some other mb rims, 15" and went with duratracs 33x12.5x15. No issues. I actually have her old set in the garage ready to be sold. As for price of stocker rims, depends on your area. Here in Vegas they go for around 200-300 for 5.

I personally do not like spacers as it is 20 additional lugs I have to keep an eye on and keep tight. That is just me.

As for where I get the rims and tires, discount tire each time thus far. I price out discount direct and go to local shop. When they want deal I order online. I have had a couple places, not discount, refuse to work on my jeep due to lift or tire size. I have a ome hd lift. Love it btw. I also have it on my wife's and on my previous jeep which I sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles