Stock height rear leaf suggestion (boring...)

Cackalak Han

Explorer
This will seem kind of lame to most of you guys. I was looking into getting a 2-3” lift, fitting some 33's, getting a bumper, etc. on my Tacoma. However, I don't think I'll ever need to go bigger than 32's for what I do, which is mostly mild off-roading, camping, hunting, etc. and realize that all of that would be just overkill for my purposes. I think I'm going to go even milder on the suspension upgrades. (maybe “maintenance” would be a better word).

I have about 122k on the odo, so it's time to change out some of the components. I think I am going to go with Bil 5100's all around, and setting the fronts to 1.5” to level it out. I think I will also get a pair of new OEM stock springs from trdparts4u (~$80/each). The rear leafs, I don't know what to do with. I would like to get just the stock springs, but they are $$$$ from the dealership (~$600 EACH!, IIRC). Dakars are just too much lift and Alcan/Deavers seem too expensive for just getting some stock height springs. What do you guys suggest for springs that are about the stock height? Mine look just about flat and maybe a tiny bit towards the negative side. I don't like the idea of re-arching, since I've heard that weakens the springs and they tend to snap.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
The OME rear springs for the 98-04 Tacoma are only listed at 2.25" of height gain over stock, based on my experience these will settle to around 1.75".

Jacque

Last edited:

Switch

Observer
This will seem kind of lame to most of you guys. I was looking into getting a 2-3” lift, fitting some 33’s, getting a bumper, etc. on my Tacoma. However, I don’t think I’ll ever need to go bigger than 32’s for what I do, which is mostly mild off-roading, camping, hunting, etc. and realize that all of that would be just overkill for my purposes. I think I’m going to go even milder on the suspension upgrades. (maybe “maintenance” would be a better word).

I have about 122k on the odo, so it’s time to change out some of the components. I think I am going to go with Bil 5100’s all around, and setting the fronts to 1.5” to level it out. I think I will also get a pair of new OEM stock springs from trdparts4u (~$80/each). The rear leafs, I don’t know what to do with. I would like to get just the stock springs, but they are $$$$ from the dealership (~$600 EACH!, IIRC). Dakars are just too much lift and Alcan/Deavers seem too expensive for just getting some stock height springs. What do you guys suggest for springs that are about the stock height? Mine look just about flat and maybe a tiny bit towards the negative side. I don’t like the idea of re-arching, since I’ve heard that weakens the springs and they tend to snap.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd think with so many guys replacing the rear leaf packs with aftermarket sets that there would be lots of used (low mileage) rear leafs available. That would cost much less than factory...

tacollie

Glamper
Maybe try a WTb under parts and see if you can get a good set of take offs. If you decide to spend the money deaver and alcan can do stock height springs. Cheaper and better than OEM. The OME are a great bang for your buck IMO, you won't be disappointed. Slee told me you can remove a leaf if they are to high or ride stiff. I gained 4" of lift from them, but my stock springs were gone.

happytraveler

Alcan

Call Alcan directly, tell them exactly how you use your truck, loads, ride height, etc. They will build what you need & ship it to your door. May not be the least expensive option, but it's the one with the fewest compromises.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I think the best fit for me is the Wheeler's 4 or 5 leaf springs.

I'd think with so many guys replacing the rear leaf packs with aftermarket sets that there would be lots of used (low mileage) rear leafs available. That would cost much less than factory...

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I couldn't find any on here or TTORA. Most seem to be going for at least $100-$200. I think I'd rather spend the extra $200 and get brand new springs. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles