Stock Fuso Wheels SRW

stormsails

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding any info. Does anyone have any experience running stock Fuso rims and removing the inside dually. I'm not really concerned about offroad capabilities (tires not tracking the same) just trying to get better fuel mileage and run taller tires. I'm concerned about destroying my wheel bearings or breaking my stock rims. Truck has lightweight camper and loaded with some gear maybe 3000lbs fully loaded.
Thanks

MJCake1

Just removing a rim on the duallys should be interesting. I pretty sure disasterous but what do I know. ?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
That's how they use to do it. Can't tell you if they had too much in problems other than cracked rims. Don't think it will make any difference in fuel economy running singles or duals but certainly if you are trying to run larger tyres they may kiss in between the tyres and cause some problems. You could run a spacer between the rims to solve that,

Dan.

gait

Explorer
certainly how it was done in the good old days. There's a Michelin XZL tyre that fits. For singles a spacer (middle cut out of unused rim) between rim and drum reasonably aligned the front and rear wheels. Depends where you are as to whether its legal ... its demise in Aus was due to ADRs (Aus Design Rules) limiting how much bigger tyres than original could be fitted or the need for very complete (expensive) brake tests. There's more to changing rims/tyres than simply tightening a few wheel nuts.

stormsails

certainly how it was done in the good old days. There's a Michelin XZL tyre that fits. For singles a spacer (middle cut out of unused rim) between rim and drum reasonably aligned the front and rear wheels. Depends where you are as to whether its legal ... its demise in Aus was due to ADRs (Aus Design Rules) limiting how much bigger tyres than original could be fitted or the need for very complete (expensive) brake tests. There's more to changing rims/tyres than simply tightening a few wheel nuts.
Where would you place the spacer? Between the front wheels? I'm in Canada so not as strict as Australia, we're still under the "Good old days" rules last time I checked. Thank you for the help.

gait

Explorer
between the rear wheel and the drum. The spacer can be the centre cut out of an old rim.

SuperVan

Forager
I believe a buddy of mine in New Mexico is running this way. I will check in with him and get back to you.

KJ

dlh62c

Explorer
Not sure it’s possible with Budd Studs. It takes a Budd Socket to remove the inner wheel.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding any info. Does anyone have any experience running stock Fuso rims and removing the inside dually. I'm not really concerned about offroad capabilities (tires not tracking the same) just trying to get better fuel mileage and run taller tires. I'm concerned about destroying my wheel bearings or breaking my stock rims. Truck has lightweight camper and loaded with some gear maybe 3000lbs fully loaded.
Thanks
On my FG the rear axle is rated for 9480 lbs and the front axle is rated for 5730. I wouldn't expect the rims to be designed for a weight capacity of more than 3000 pounds, meaning regardless of the tires you fit the rear axle would not be able to support more than 6000 pounds and your GVWR would derate to maybe 11730 pounds (provided the rear axle is not overloaded). With a curb weight of 5842 you can still carry almost 6000 pounds - but again the weight would need to be forward to ensure you are not overloading the rear axle.

If anyone has the actual load capacity of the steel rims we could run some more accurate numbers.

C p weinberger

I’m not sure about that...wouldn’t dual rear rims need to be rated to each carry full ( 1/2) axle weight as there are numerous scenarios where you drive onto something narrow and it only catches one the duallys?
Curb, railroad tie, rock?

SuperVan

Forager
So, my friends have a 1999 Fuso FG with the 5 lug pattern. For the last two years, which every winter includes roaming Mainland Mexico and then up and down the Baja peninsula (including the currently crappy road over to San Felipe,) they have been running single rear wheels. The tire size is a 305, and other than flipping the exterior rim, no spacers or modifications have been added. He is one of the original fuso ‘overlanders’ and puts some serious off-road miles on each year. Another interesting note is that he has actually extended his Long Wheel Base, and made it even longer...how much I am not sure. I will try to attach some photos... PS: his total weight is just under 10K

Attachments

• 706056D9-2688-406E-9457-79BF45845412.jpeg
    706056D9-2688-406E-9457-79BF45845412.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 5E4CE587-C910-45FE-8A1D-89FA06CAE6A1.jpeg
    5E4CE587-C910-45FE-8A1D-89FA06CAE6A1.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 100
  • F33B94F4-7671-4518-A2F4-2E17FA69E319.jpeg
    F33B94F4-7671-4518-A2F4-2E17FA69E319.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads