Stock fuso suspension measurements

Hodor

I'd like to cross check some stock numbers before I order new springs.

Front leaf 45" eye to eye
3 3\8" bushing width
5\8" bolt diam
2 1\4" spacers Under leaf pack
4 leaf pack

Rear leafs 49" eye to eye
3\4" bolt diam
3" of spacers under
7 leaf pack
Less than 2" until bump stop

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Curious as to why and what you are ordering where. In the process if not already done I’d replace the OE bump stops with Timbrens

Hodor

I have timbren bump stops on order as well Springs are coming from Alcan out of Colorado, I just don't want to take my suspension apart for numbers and the truck is still being used

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have timbren bump stops on order as well Springs are coming from Alcan out of Colorado, I just don't want to take my suspension apart for numbers and the truck is still being used
Lew used the stock specs of factory and I told him what I wanted for weight. Did fronts for now and will determine rears later. Dual cab 20220301_123518.jpg
Kevin

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
I have timbren bump stops on order as well

We have Timbrens on our Fuso & after working out the correct spacing they're working well. Initially we had way too much space between the bumps and their points of contact. That allowed too much spring compression which contributed to springs wearing out quickly. Placing Timbren's spacers under the bumps solved the issue. Once you get yours and do a preliminary install with the new springs you could call Timbren and see what they thought of your spacing.

Howard

yabanja

Explorer
What was your height suggestions? More than 1.5 or 2" i hope
I will second Howards comments on Timbrens. Very important. I built my custom leaves 1" longer than stock and had them add arch to correct. I also added about 3 degrees of extra castor for straight line stability.

As far as helping with stock specs, they vary by year of truck.........

Allan

Hodor

I'm having 2" added to my front leafs, but I assume that my length measurements wouldn't change because my height does, if that was the case they wouldn't fit, guaranteed. Alcan should know that.

I'm having 3" of additional height added to the rears and such should keep my ride height fairly even when fully loaded with my 2600# camper
I'm also having the rear leafs downsized to 9000# and leaving my airbags in the rear. This should allow for a comfortable ride with the lightweight camper but full use of the flat deck when camper is removed

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Lew used the stock specs of factory and I told him what I wanted for weight. Did fronts for now and will determine rears later. Dual cab
Kevin
Sorry to bumb in but who is Lew? And where did those springs in the photo come from? Alcan?

Just gathering information for later. ✍

Hodor

So I have several updates for inquiring minds-

My stock setup in the front is as follows
Eye to eye - 45"
Bolt diameter is 7\8" and the OD of the rubber bushings is 1.75"
Front shackles measure 3.5" eye to eye and are straight bar shackles

My front springs are not equal lengths front to center and rear to center. Measuring along the top length of the steel (alcan measures this way) my lengths are 23" front (center of eye) to center and 22.5" center to rear (center of eye).

I received my springs from alcan and lew several days ago and spent all day yesterday attempting to install them. My fronts were spec'd to be 2" taller than stock and 2" longer than stock from the center-to-rear

Presuming all else matched, my springs should have been 47" overall length when I received them. The fronts I received are 49" overall and do not fit correctly; they are 1" longer from front to center pushing my axle position back, and 3.5" longer in the rear, causing the shackles to push back and lay flat, binding between the leaf and frame on either side.

Contacting lew at alcan spring this morning I was told for the first time that HIS stock measurements are for my 2012 FG4x4, and he's telling me 23.25" from center to eye front and rear are the numbers he went off of. My first concern is to ask why I wasn't made privy to these numbers before my springs were built.

Lew lost his temper, began calling me names, threatened to send a truck to get the springs because he "doesn't even want me to have them" and has become entirely unprofessional in encountering this issue. I'm going to try and have a conference call with him and the owner of Alcan later this afternoon and will update with my findings, but at this point I'm very unhappy.

At this point my springs are unusable unless I cut and relocate my spring hangars, either front rear or both. This is significantly more fab work than I anticipated and it's going to cost me much more time and money in the shop.

Food for thought and specs for comparison. Finding custom springs is difficult in North America and I spent the last 4 months attempting to get this right. Lew was patient and helpful with me throughout this process and I hope that alcan will remedy these issues seeing as we missed this important piece of info (being the actual spring measurements along the steel) the first time around.

For the record, I originally had taken photos, measurements, and asked what else was needed In the beginning.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Wow sorry to hear this. I have not looked at installing my clients yet. I will look at them next month. Looking forward to updates
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke