Stitch and glue Lightweight platform update

rhineholio

WoW! Great build! How well do the plastic strips on the bottom work? is your whole bed bare or do you have a bedliner?

nevermind. I looked deeper and saw my answer. Im building something similar but with the stock bed liner and plastic on the bottom of my drawer kind of similar to what you did.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems like an awful lot of work and time to save 60? pounds on a vehicle that weighs 4000. If it was a backpacking kayak I could see the point. interesting work though.

rhineholio

Seems like an awful lot of work and time to save 60? pounds on a vehicle that weighs 4000. If it was a backpacking kayak I could see the point. interesting work though.

It looks easier than what I have right now. He probably has more storage as well because he didn't have to use thick material for support in areas.

Beems

Sweet build! I have taken inspiration from your build and am designing a similar setup for the back of my Tacoma (3rd Gen short bed). I will put together a more complete description once I build it, but here is the design, in case others need some inspiration.
I liked the sliding "stretcher" design for vertical storage, but wanted to be able to have a flat top. So, I am going to use some 80/20 aluminum sections to serve as cantilevers for when the slider is in the lower position and as supports to put the slider level with the rest of the build. It will also allow me to put some tie-downs in there if I need them.
I made a few other changes, like not making the drawer the full length, adding some cutouts on the drawer to access my stove's knobs, and a little "tube shelf" on the side to hold small things. I also will make a little extender piece to be able to drop the tailgate and extend the stretcher out a bit more to sleep full length on clear summer days.
The psych is high for getting started into getting wood and building! Any tips and thoughts are certainly welcome!
Other inspiration:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/i-made-some-drawers.189395/#post-2425844
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/latest-project-truck-drawers-sleeping-platform.47516/

Attachments

• BedBuild_Photo.png
    BedBuild_Photo.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 44
  • BedBuild_Photo.png
    BedBuild_Photo.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 32
  • BedBuild_Photo2.png
    BedBuild_Photo2.png
    375.4 KB · Views: 31
  • BedBuild_Photo3.png
    BedBuild_Photo3.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BedBuild_Photo4.png
    BedBuild_Photo4.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 31
  • BedBuild_Photo5.png
    BedBuild_Photo5.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 31

Oyster9

Observer
Sweet build! I have taken inspiration from your build and am designing a similar setup for the back of my Tacoma (3rd Gen short bed). I will put together a more complete description once I build it, but here is the design, in case others need some inspiration.
I liked the sliding "stretcher" design for vertical storage, but wanted to be able to have a flat top. So, I am going to use some 80/20 aluminum sections to serve as cantilevers for when the slider is in the lower position and as supports to put the slider level with the rest of the build. It will also allow me to put some tie-downs in there if I need them.
I made a few other changes, like not making the drawer the full length, adding some cutouts on the drawer to access my stove's knobs, and a little "tube shelf" on the side to hold small things. I also will make a little extender piece to be able to drop the tailgate and extend the stretcher out a bit more to sleep full length on clear summer days.
The psych is high for getting started into getting wood and building! Any tips and thoughts are certainly welcome!
Other inspiration:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/i-made-some-drawers.189395/#post-2425844
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/latest-project-truck-drawers-sleeping-platform.47516/
That looks fantastic Beems,
Good luck on your endeavor and have a good time getting there.
I still have mine and it has worked well, but I'll be selling it soon, to be replaced with this van I'm building now.
I decided to make the cabinetry with aluminum rather than stitch and glue, just for a change of pace.
Thanks and it is fun to look back on this project
IMG_4359.JPG

dstefan

Was there ever a final weight on the OP's project? I read and searched the thread and couldn’t find it. I’m wondering how it might compare to an 8020 frame with Coroplast sides and a 1/8” Ply and foam core sandwich top panel? Or hollow core door panel. Anybody ever try that?
Regardless, really great thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles