Stitch and glue Lightweight platform update

Oyster9

Observer
I know I said it before...but it's been a pleasure following this build..great work and best of luck with it! :beer:

It has been my pleasure to build and share as well.
We are gearing up for her maiden voyage,
Fairbanks Alaska to Livingston Montana and back with a good bit of boating in between.
Can't hardly wait to hit the road.
Need to start loading gear and see where and how to stow everything.
Thanks and cheers to you also.

Oyster9

Observer
Foot clearance

We test fired the platform today with all of the bedding and both felt there was not enough clearance for our shins and feet. I guess I wil try shimming the deck with a 2x4 on edge and see if it can still be installed with the tapered side walls of the topper. I thought I was done, guess not.

Oyster9

Observer
Drawer front failure

So I got the drawer loaded, I mean over loaded.
I had a tent in the back compartment that stood taller than the drawer but mashed down enough to close the drawer.
I tried to open it but it kept wadding up on the joists,
I kept going in and out a little and it was bunching up worse.
So I give a big hard pull and the drawer front came off in my hands.
I guess it is good it happened in the driveway and not on the road.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
It certainly is good to learn of such issues prior to departure, and I really respect that you've shared this driveway R&D issue and the solution.

Good on ya'.

Oyster9

Observer
Drawer fixed

I got the drawer fixed with bigger fillets and glass tape this time.
I learned my lesson on over loading drawer.

Oyster9

Observer
It certainly is good to learn of such issues prior to departure, and I really respect that you've shared this driveway R&D issue and the solution.

Good on ya'.
Thank you sir,
The way I see it, this is outhouse imagineering and both the good and bad need posted.
Now after the fact, I feel the drawer front should have had glass tape inside and outside.
Without grinding all the rivets off, I was only able to tape the inside on this repair.
Now we'll see if it holds up

mowerman

Adventurer
Just read the whole thread, lovely attention to detail - I have never heard of stitch and glue building before. Congratulations on a great job - you must have infinate patience, I would have run amok with a nail gun!! :)

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Awesome build out. I've done a couple Stitch and glue boats but had not thought about doing cabinetry. Very nice work!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Very nice! I'm planning a similar arrangement.

That canoe is great! Guess we have things in common as I've been wanting to do a freighter as well, I'm hoping for a 24' 60" beam with a little more freeboard, decked. Can't find plans so it may end up as a box boat or more of a sharpie. Ever hear of a liveaboard canoe? hahaha.... Too many projects!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles