Stink in stored duffles, best way to get rid of bad odors?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’m doing a long overdue outdoor gear cleanup and I’ve discovered that my long stored, internally coated, cordura nylon duffles smell like a wino drowned in a pool of vomit in each one of them! ???

I’ve tried washing them in soapy water, air drying them in the desert sun and also febrezing them…they still are rather unpleasantly redolent.

Do any of y’all have any tried and true remedies for deceased wino odor eviction? If so, please share.

tall

You can try this stuff: https://www.rei.com/product/852525/mcnett-mirazyme-odor-eliminator-8-fl-oz I've had pretty good luck with that on things like stinky wetsuit booties.

BUT sometimes the issue is because the waterproof coating has broken down. I don't know why some coatings do this (and why it happens to some items -- even same brand -- and not others), but it's something I've experienced with some of my vintage gear (usually packs). Unfortunately, there's very little you can do about that (besides tossing it or living with the vomit stink). Good luck!

dstefan

Had exactly the same problem from some old coated raingear stored in a plastic bin. Terible smell — you described it perfectly! Nothing helped and worse it made everything else stored with it stink too. Once I threw away the offending items I could finally air out the rest, but there was no hope for the rain gear. :sick:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Same issue. I’m thinking that coated nylon gear has about 25 years before the coating breaks down and then you’re done. Is the coating flaking off the inside… sort of looking like sunburned skin peeling?

I did successfully get most, but not all, out of my favorite pack by scrubbing off the peeled coating with a stiff brush…

Time for new gear.

chet6.7

Explorer
I’m doing a long overdue outdoor gear cleanup and I’ve discovered that my long stored, internally coated, cordura nylon duffles smell like a wino drowned in a pool of vomit in each one of them! ???

I’ve tried washing them in soapy water, air drying them in the desert sun and also febrezing them…they still are rather unpleasantly redolent.

Do any of y’all have any tried and true remedies for deceased wino odor eviction? If so, please share.
If they could put that smell in a can along with OC it would probably be more effective than just OC. I had to toss the stuff I had, the smell is horrible.

obchristo

It's called hydrolysis, The polyurathane coating of the duffle is breaking down.
Myrazyme will temporarily remove the odor but not stop the process. Time for new duffles.

billiebob

Ultimately duffels are for travel, not storage.
When I was a mountain climber EVERYTHING was unpacked and either hung in a closet or stored on those wire shelving systems..... and the duffels were turned inside out.
Getting rid of the smell.... I'd put everything thru the dryer with Downy Softener things.

ps ALL my duffels are old Army Surplus Cotton Denim bags. Coated nylon.... burn it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... Coated nylon.... burn it.
Yup.

giphy.gif

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
try an ozone generator, they are used to remove death, cigarette smoke, etc.
I have a small one that works wonders on car interiors.

or get new duffles.
Ozone also breaks down certain polymers at a molecular level. Might be fun to see what happens to manky old cordura.

GHI

Adventurer
try an ozone generator, they are used to remove death, cigarette smoke, etc.
I have a small one that works wonders on car interiors.

or get new duffles.
I was going to suggest this one too as I use mine quite a bit. I have a dog and I cook with garlic every single day. The thing is amazing. However, if there's one thing it might not work on it's that gosh awful stink from those bags.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx all…the “poll” seems to lean towards “just burn ‘em” !

But not wanting to be wasteful (always gotta remember to try to recycle when possible, yeah?), I’ve decided to pack them up and ship* them out to our Expo Bro here who’s been complaining about the hot broad boondocking behind his California coastal retreat.

He can dump ’em in a pile at the edge of his lot and use their foul odor to scare off further invasive #VanLifers.

*assuming the shipper will accept them…they have the eye watering potential of being rejected for fear of them polluting the rest of the cargo load ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz