Still waiting to hear how the Duonic works off pavement.....

John E Davies

Adventurer
It has been a few years since Mitsubishi switched to the new system, and I still haven't read much about how the new Duonic transmission does in serious off pavement situations with oversized single tires.

Can someone please give me a link or two, or comment from direct experience? My benchmark is the White Rim Trail in Moab, Utah. Will it be OK there? While I might encounter worse conditions, I wouldn't intentionally seek them out ;)

Is there a two speed transfer case that will easily bolt up to the new transmission?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

John E Davies

Adventurer
OK, I guess the lack of response is a pretty good indicator that these new trucks are not being used much for real off pavement work. But I would appreciate a response from EarthCruiser and All Terrain Warriors - since you folks are selling them in the USA and other countries now in full off-road kit.

Surely you guys have done testing in the woods and desert and can comment. How do they do?

I know they will be satisfactory for forest roads and rough secondary tracks, What happens after that, say crawling up a really knarly, steep, washed out, rocky, ledgy jeep trail? Is first low enough? Does the tranny overheat? How about coming back down - is the speed and engine braking adequate and safe?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi John,

I don't believe the guys from All Terrain Warriors USA get on this forum so probably won't see your request ..... I would contact them through Sportsmobile West. Most of the FGB71 aftermarket components we manufacture and export are all compatible with North American FGB72 but the 71 is not available here with the Duonic so we in Australia have no experience with that particular transmission in a 4wd truck. We have built close to a 100 vehicles based on the 71 and they get quite abused in the field, especially in the oil and gas industry so otherwise they go pretty well.

As a matter of interest, FUSO dealers here are now taking orders on the new model which will have a two speed transfer case.....finally. It is expected to be here September/ October.

Kind regards
John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier