Sticky clutch

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
What happened to that thread???...... I must be going crazy. Hope it wasn't a bad dream. I could have sworn that there was a thread where Defenderbeam had a sticky clutch????????? Anyway this was my reply to the original post......sorry for starting a new thread.

Hi Leon.
Sure…. I've heard of this on other types of vehicles and it's even happened to me with couple of old dungers. The advice everyone gave in the original thread sounded pretty solid given the symptoms but there may not be an easy way out.

Have never ever heard of a Canter clutch sticking like this before so I spoke to a couple of mates in the industry and they both said the same thing..........and these guys would know. One said he has had a couple stuck on FM's and FK's that had been sitting around for 12 months in damp weather but never an FG. You aren't going to like the solution for the big trucks………the clutch had to come out to be replaced and the flywheel machined. One thing we discussed was that the clutch hydraulics may not be operating correctly ……possibly air and trust me, they are a real mongrel to bleed correctly….... but I guess you would have felt something strange at the pedal.

One of these guys I checked with runs a fleet of 6 FG's on the beach and he said occasionally they will get a clutch seize up so badly that they won't work properly….when they pull them down, they find rust around the fingers which is enough to stop the pressure plate from travelling. Mind you, this would be on a vehicle that's been on the beach for 3 years …..this wouldn't be your problem but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Surely your truck should be covered under warranty? What did they say?

If for some reason it's not under warranty, I'd be trying to trick the “in-gear” switch and trying to start the thing in gear before any major surgery. We don't have this ignition interlock feature here in Oz so you're on your own there.

Leon. …Haven't spoken in ages but hope you and the family are doing well.
Regards John

Last edited:

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Thanks for your thoughts and insight.

No John, you are not crazy. I did delete the thread.

I haven't brought it back to the shop, as I am still working on the bed. It sucks driving the truck with nothing on the back. Escpecially without the DRW. Probably in the next few weeks, I will bring it somewhere to be looked at. Still trying to get the bed frame to a weather protected, mountable state.

I will post a picture later, if it is not too dark outside for a pic.

I haven't yet tried to bypass the "in-gear" safety switch.

My worst fear is that an annoyed neighbor poured something inside the housing? I do live about a mile from the sand, so there is some salt in the air, but nothing like being a beach bus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz