Steyr 12M18 service manual?

4milesurfer

I just picked up a Steyr 12M18 and am in the hunt for a service manual. Does anyone know a source for one. Not that I speak german, but I figured it’d good to have one anyway.

4milesurfer

Thank you. Yes, I'm in the US. Thanks for the tip - I've been lurking around the Steyr forum for a while and haven't been able to find a source there either.

Do you have a Steyr? I've heard there are a few more around in the US...

Zybane

Oh man the 12M18 is a dream platform for expedition vehicle. Did you import one from Europe? What ya gonna do with it?

4milesurfer

Oh man the 12M18 is a dream platform for expedition vehicle. Did you import one from Europe? What ya gonna do with it?

I'm having it shipped over from Germany. It already has a year old '15 Bliss box mounted on it that I may sell in favor of a more simple build.

We're planning on doing shorter shakedown runs in the US and Central America before shipping it off to Africa for an extended trip through Africa and Asia in a few years.

I'm having it shipped over from Germany. It already has a year old '15 Bliss box mounted on it that I may sell in favor of a more simple build.

We're planning on doing shorter shakedown runs in the US and Central America before shipping it off to Africa for an extended trip through Africa and Asia in a few years.
My advice: you are planning years of living and travel. Why sell the nice Bliss box, you will appreciate it while traveling.

gregmchugh

Observer

I would give the Bliss box try before selling it unless you are planning on selling it to get some funds to do a simpler build. What do find to be too complex that will be solved with a simpler build?

Last edited:

4milesurfer

My advice: you are planning years of living and travel. Why sell the nice Bliss box, you will appreciate it while traveling.

It’s definitely a well thought out and put together box, but I’d like to do a majority of the maintenance myself. The electronics seem more complex than my capabilities to diagnose and repair any issues (one of the reasons I decided to go with a Steyr is the simplicity of the chassis).

We’ll see how it goes. I’m fairly certain my wife won’t want to give it up once we’ve taken a few extended trips... ?

Wish we had one. Very interested in seeing pics of yours. Where are you located?

We’re in NorCal. 9E87CA64-0F5D-481E-9F31-0B18B87391C1.jpeg

gregmchugh

Observer
That looks like a nice setup with the Bliss.

What type of electronics does it have that are complex? Could be that it is not hard to understand and maintain it or maybe even simplify it while keeping the Bliss box...

4milesurfer

That looks like a nice setup with the Bliss.

What type of electronics does it have that are complex? Could be that it is not hard to understand and maintain it or maybe even simplify it while keeping the Bliss box...

It’s a bit difficult to explain. While no single piece of the electronics are overly complex, combined I fear it will be too complicated for me to diagnose, repair, and upgrade when necessary. Basically, the box is built as a smart system and the electronics permiate all of the systems. Luckily, there are manual overrides for just about everything.
http://blissmobil.com/en/products/15ft/energy-2
http://blissmobil.com/en/products/15ft/smart-6

Since Bliss is located in the Netherlands it would be problemtic to ship it off for all but the most significant of issues.

gregmchugh

Observer
Yes, it is complex due to the networking and remote control features but it is built from high quality components. Looks like the major electrical devices are all from Victron which are high quality commercial marine components and have good users manuals and service available worldwide. I would expect the same for the rest of the system which may also be from a marine supplier. If there is manual override then you should be able to get the essential functions working even it there are issues with the complex portions of the systems. Can’t hurt to give it a try, learning as you go should get you there.

gregmchugh

Observer
Looking through the info on the Bliss website you linked to I think you have a very well designed and functional cabin for your truck. It could be simpler without the extra complexity but I think that it is maybe not as difficult to deal with as you might expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles