Steps into camper

sisu

Adventurer
Body by Jake steps. I started this today. Will finish tomorrow, but this brain fart hit me today as I was coming back from the vet after Gus got his rattlesnake vaccine. The top step "firmflex" will be removable and the unit flips 180 for travel unless I am towing then the entire thing can either go in the boat or the kayak trailer. Photo with blue paint on tred edges is there so no one misses a step and falls. 100% recycled material for the entire project.

step 1.jpgstep 2.jpgstep 3.jpgstep 4.jpgstep 6.jpg

Last edited:

morrisster

Adventurer
I went with the easy solution. 3 step Werner aluminum step ladder. Under $30 at home depot and can be used all around the truck for; washing windows, washing the truck, reaching one of those high lights to change a bulb, etc...
I put grip tape on each step as well as the top. Has worked great for a year of full time use so far.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I described my solution here:

http://jimthetruck.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/dogs-and-ladders.html

It's a set of aluminium steps from an army auction place in the UK, with some custom brackets made to store the steps on the tail-lift at the back of the truck when I'm travelling. It might be harder to store the steps on a smaller camper and I'm not sure if the US army casts of anything similar.

P1020698.JPG

P1020719.JPG

sixbennetts

Adventurer
This is the only pic I've found of the steps I'd like to make. Their design dictates that the steps would always be level regardless of where the base hits the ground. Raise them up and they slide right in under the body. If it were me I'd cut the four feet off the bottom for a more stable base.

Anybody seen these for sale?

stairs.jpg

adam88

Explorer
This is the only pic I've found of the steps I'd like to make. Their design dictates that the steps would always be level regardless of where the base hits the ground. Raise them up and they slide right in under the body. If it were me I'd cut the four feet off the bottom for a more stable base.

Anybody seen these for sale?

stairs.jpg

Where is that photo from? I want to know more about that flatbed.... and the truck...

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Found it Googling one day for aluminum stair or steps. It was a dead link but I managed to snip the pic.

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Found it Googling one day for aluminum stair or steps. It was a dead link but I managed to snip the pic.

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

Sorry, can't help.

We use the suicide accordion stairs with our Bigfoot because we both need all the aid climbing practice we can get. ;)

Seriously, they aren't great, but in over 10 years nobody has fallen. We do take the camper off the truck pretty often , and in that position we have a short folding step stool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94