Steps into camper

sisu

Adventurer
I am looking at several drawing I've made that I want to eventually manufacture into steps for our truck and camper. I want these steps to hitch and unhitch from the receiver.
One design I made would definitely need to be removed before driving, the other I could leave on but would need a small step, stool or milk crate at the bottom (milk crate idea I like as it would serve double duty). The drawing that I could leave on the truck while driving would be two steps, and the one I'd need to remove would involve three steps welded on 2x2 at an angle similar to a regular stairway.

BTW our camper came with those suicide accordion stairs, I sold them as they were like doing A-5 aid.

Any ideas, I am sure most folks here have toyed with this and built better than one can buy, so please post up ideas before I get started.

Thank you,
Scott

navigator

Adventurer
if you are using your receiver to mount the steps, you could build a 3 step model and then just flip it over (turn the steps up) for driving.
It might be tricky if you open the door a lot while on the road but if you usually load up the camper, drive to your location and only go in when camping it should be ok.
I guess if you need to get in there you want the step anyway.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
if you are using your receiver to mount the steps, you could build a 3 step model and then just flip it over (turn the steps up) for driving.

Or, turn it sideways... I was going to make a set like you describe, and just add an extra piece of 2x2 tubing to one side so they could be put into the receiver flat/level for travel. My camper has a flip down single step, so I am just going to make a matching second step and weld "mini receivers" to the bottom of the flip step so I can add a second when it is needed.

sisu

Adventurer
Thanks now I have some new ideas to ponder. I like the mini receiver idea. More drawing are in the making for me.
This is why I like EP always a different slant to ponder or just plain good old fashioned advice.
Thank you.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Another option, is to have it flip up and pin out of the way while driving.

It stays in the receiver, just pull a pin and drop the stairs. Heading out, lift the stairs and insert the pin.

I am currently struggling with sagging steps as well.

Rather than getting a new set of stairs, I am building a ramp with a couple of 2x10's

easyshell

I built some steps that work really good for if you setup and stay a while but really suck for when you don't They are nice and wide and really sturdy but are a pain to store and don't work if you tow a trailer. If you did a smaller set they would be great they always are level. IMG_0267.JPG

adam88

Explorer
I built some steps that work really good for if you setup and stay a while but really suck for when you don't They are nice and wide and really sturdy but are a pain to store and don't work if you tow a trailer. If you did a smaller set they would be great they always are level. View attachment 116190

hey easyshell. I was just going to post those type of steps in here and saw you beat me to it. But you say you also built them yourself and you live in BC (so do I). Pretty cool.

I am going to build a set of steps like that to slide underneath my flatbed for my camper, and slide out when needed, that way it won't be a huge hassle for trying to stor them.

Do you mind if I ask how thick the stairs you built are when folded? Do you think steps could be made to 2 inches thick (total height) and still be sturdy? That's ideally the room I have to work with. Thanks,

sisu

Adventurer
Easyshell, beautiful stairs but because of the way we operate we need the receiver type. I'm heading out this week for the materials will post photos when finished. It will be awhile for the work to begin as we are planning on kayaking a lot this week, but after this week coming week is over I should be in business.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Easyshell, have you made a thread about your stairs? I'll need to find something similar for our Volvo Tgb111C soon.

easyshell

hey easyshell. I was just going to post those type of steps in here and saw you beat me to it. But you say you also built them yourself and you live in BC (so do I). Pretty cool.

Yes there are lots of places to go in BC

I am going to build a set of steps like that to slide underneath my flatbed for my camper, and slide out when needed, that way it won't be a huge hassle for trying to stor them.
That is hopfully the same plan as I have just need the time to do it.

Do you mind if I ask how thick the stairs you built are when folded? Do you think steps could be made to 2 inches thick (total height) and still be sturdy? That's ideally the room I have to work with. Thanks,

Mine are about 4" thick they are made out of 1.5"x1.5" 1/8" tube
I was going to use 1"x1" but did not have enough(i made them out of scrap lying around)
They flex a bit but you can have to 200+ pound guys on them and no prob

I want to build some sort of fold down step that can be used when towing a trailer and for when travleing from place to place b/c there is not enough room to get the stairs out when the trailer is there and the tounge is in the way unless you jack knife the whole combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles