Stemwinder Weekender - An Off The Leash Adventure

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Any adventure is what you make of it, or so I believe it should be. This past weekend was more of an exercise in destination than one of journey, probably a 75/25 split in favor of the final spot. My Wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway, one of the relaxing type variety. Life can run you ragged sometimes, so I figured a couple days spent sitting in my camp chair, sipping a beer, feeding M&M’s into my belly, throwing a stick(s) for our faithful mutts, and chatting about future trips, adventures and endeavours with my Wife would be exactly what the doc ordered.

As it happened we departed late on Friday. We would have normally exited the real world sooner, but we have a 7-month old puppy with a weekly obedience training class that is taking priority right now. (A little extra work on our part now should hopefully offer a net result of greater relaxation down the road I have surmised).
So, we exited a little later than normal, and drove about an hour southwest on Hwy #3 to the Stemwinder forest service road trailhead. I had planned on and decided to find a Friday night camping spot as quick as possible after touching dirt, as to make the most of the remaining daylight. Once an appropriate and approved location was found, we upped the rooftop tent and quickly worked to build a fire pit suitable for flame. Smokies were on the menu for Friday night. It is tradition for us, the first night spent camping (in whatever form or definition) camping may take for us) is hot dog or smokie feast. Always has been, always will be. The dogs (of the brined and smoked sausage variety, not the furry family member sort) were washed down with a cold beer, chased with chocolate and we concurred to retire to the second floor of our Mt. Shasta rooftop tent for an evening of shuteye.

I should take a minute to point out, that this was our first real outing with the new rooftop tent. We had played out how and where our pooches would spend the evening while sitting comfortably on the couch at home a few times, but now the fuse had been lit and we were actually “doing this”. The mutts evening started in the Xterra, with a couple very comfortable and fluffy beds. Beds, I should say, that I would be content sleeping on (insert foreshadowing hint here). We deposited the pooches into the X, and proceeded to make our way to the upper level for a well deserved night of counting sheep. I would say 5 minutes passed before our otherwise well mannered dogs started expressing their disdain for being housed alone inside a vehicle, while we were snuggled away above them in the comfort of the RTT. “Let them wear themselves out” I said to myself. I said this to myself because my darling Wife had figured out the secret to falling asleep, and was, yes, very soundly asleep.

Well, their temporary evening accommodation ended up being exactly that; temporary. After much fanfare by two seriously peeved off dogs, I retrieved them both, and their fluffy comfortable beds and set them up in the first floor annex of our Cascadia Vehicle Tent abode. Again, a very pleasing and downright plush place to lay one’s head, human or canine. The peace and quite of the secondary sleeping arrangement lasted about as long as it took for me to climb the ladder and zip myself into my incorrectly advertised sleeping bag.
To wrap up the pre-story before the adventure/journey/destination had really even begun; I awoke the sleeping beauty beside me, hatched a quick plan to hoist mutt #1 up to the second level of the rooftop tent. I then threw myself down to the main floor to spend the night with my sleeping bag positioned on two very fluffy and comfortable dog beds beside the puppy, aka: mutt #2, who was as happy as a clam that I had decided to spend the evening curled up with him, as he quickly drifted off to sleep for the remainder of the evening.

Saturday morning. Yes, we made it to Saturday morning without killing ourselves or each other, or both. Up with the dew-evaporating sun we were, dogs shooed out into the wild blue yonder to run around like mad morning dogs do. A quick cup of joe was brewed by I, beans ground in my mini-mill, water boiled on my 45-year-old $25 bargain find Coleman stove, matched and mixed in loving parts in our GSI Commuter travel press’ and enjoyed as if it were the first and/or last cup of coffee one was to ever enjoy. The decision was made to forgo breakfast and make tracks for the eventual destination atop the mountain that we had slept in the shadow of.

We were off, like a herd of somethings. Aired down, and coffee’d up, we laid tracks up the forest service road in search of that turn off. You know the one, that little double track that veers off the forest service road as you drive by. The one that whispers “come here, explore me, you know you wanna”. We found our diversion and turned away from the road built for trucks that hauled what will become our homes and furniture, and onto a narrow path built by men 100 years ago who carried the ore was squeezed into a shiny substance and was wrapped around the well to do’s fingers, wrists, and necks of the day.

Up, and up we went, progressing from 2-wheel to 4-wheel to 4-Lo. At one point I was able to finally utilize the winch I had purchased and ornamented my ARB bumper with. Alas, it was not to free the Xterra from some earth sucking pit of molten magma, but to pull a wind-felled tree from our path. (Performed like a champ she did, Miss Superwinch……but fear not, her job this weekend was not done yet)
After a half hour or rock spitting, tree-dodging, boulder crunching, mud puddle fording upwards travel, we broke free of the forest, everything she had thrown in our way, and arrived into the most heavenly mountain meadow one could picture. For a split second I imagined Julie Andrews twirling down the green slope in front of us. Devoid of real humans, inhabited only by gophers, songbirds, and the occasional curious deer we continued our uphill progression, slow and easy we traversed. We followed the existing two-wheel track, careful not to step off our allotted line and onto Mother Nature’s beautifully carpeted meadow. A few gentle roller coaster ups&downs were all that remained between us and our “destination”, and it took what felt like a matter of minutes to reach our borrowed weekend spot.

If nothing else, my Wife and I strive to prefect our camping set-up and break-down. The less time taken to make camp, the more time available to enjoy camp I figure. This getaway, this little adventure into weekend-overlanding, was to be a learning experience, taking our hands and guiding us into the intricacies of setting up our rooftop tent and all the accompaniments that accompany our company.
Once we raised a little tent (insert subtle Canadian rock band note) we got down to the business of cooking breakfast. Tracy had spied an “overland” recipe, omelet in a bag or something of the sort. Cut up your ham, your onion, grate your fromage, whip in a few eggs, throw it all in a freezer bag and sous vide until done. Well, all was going according to plan until Mr. Ziploc decided he’d had enough of the Sous Vide experiment and let loose the contents of his plasticized innards into the boiling water. Not to be discouraged or beaten down, we salvaged the partially cooked egg concoction, threw it in the frying pan and let it continue its way to delicious doneness. Accompanied with some hash brown patties, doused in Mrs. Valentina’s perfect hot sauce, and devoured overlooking the majestic Similkameen River it made for a perfect, and yes I truly mean perfect, breakfast experience.

As it so often happens when camping, late breakfast somehow ends up morphing into and substituting for an early lunch. With cooking duties therefore taken care of for the next few hours we got down to the serious business of relaxing in paradise. I think, not to blow my own tuba here, that we did a bang-up proper job of the business of relaxing in paradise. Chilled in our ARB camp chairs, sipped some vino, sipped some beer, crunched some M&M’s, licked the salt and vinegar off some salt and vinegar chips, threw the doggies some sticks, stared at our eyelids, marvelled at the Similkameen Valley below, and the snow dipped mountains that spike upwards out of the ground in the distance and came to the conclusion (once again) that we are truly more blessed and fortunate than we could hope to believe, living here in British Columbia.

Post-siesta means one thing; pre-dinner. The Chef (tonight that label would be affixed to me) was cooking up chicken and pepper fajita’s. Slice the chicken, cook (sorry; sauté) over the Coleman stove, chop up some peppers, add to the concoction, introduce Mrs. Valentina to the mix, toss about with some vigor, cover with some aluminum foil (second only to duct tape in level of must have camping importance in my humble opinion) and place on a table set for two in our own personal meadow laden open air dining room. Spoon chicken and pepper mixture onto eagerly waiting tortilla, rain some shredded sharp cheddar cheese down on top, add a few drops of Crystal hot sauce, wrap meticulously, devour and wash down with wine.
Après feast was accomplished with a little more wine and chocolate, sipped and enjoyed around another cracking fire courtesy of my wife, Mrs. Firestarter.

A day spent campsite relaxing is a sure fire way to exhaust the hardiest of souls, so by the time the short hand swung past the 9 we were all tucked safely away in bed, on the second floor of our beloved rooftop tent. Four souls up and inside, two hooman, and two of the canine variety sleeping soundly. Yes, we had learned our lesson from the evening previous, learned well enough to come out the other side aware of our future sleeping arrangements.

Sunday morning broke, and we were up, once again. Dogs running the meadow, stretching their appendages, and marking the territory as their own. Humans grinding beans and boiling water, as a man cannot be a man and greet the morning without his beloved coffee. Breakfast was straight to the point and delicious, no Ziploc bags included. We feasted on scrambled eggs, fried ham, and hash browns. The view from the breakfast table was equally as magnificent as the previous night’s dinner table. I think I may just reserve at this scenic accommodation again. After mealtime had concluded, we looked at the schedule and noticed that we were penned in for a little more R&R. Who are we to upset the gods of scheduling, so bums down and feet up for a couple more hours it was.

We awoke from our appointment with rest and relaxation, the rays of the baking sun helping to slowly pull us back to some form of weekend consciousness. The decision was made by the human staff that the four-legged members of the group would like to depart our sweet little piece of paradise for the opportunity to explore some local backroad areas, and maybe eyeball a couple fishing lakes for future prospects, on a kind of roundabout way back towards home.

We lazily made haste, packed up our portable little adventure outfit and headed back down to the Valley below. Down, down, down, 4Lo, 4-High, then 2-High as we met blacktop and the world again. We raced eastward down Hwy #3, passed Hedley (looked up, you always look up when passing through Hedley – the world famous Mascot Mine hangs on the cliffs a thousand feet above, and how else would you hope to see it if you didn’t look up?), followed the Similkameen River as it snakes through it’s very own Valley, reached Cawston, bid a fond temporary farewell to the River and Valley and hooked left, back into and up the mountains.

Dirt roads once again, yes! We had only left their brethren a short while ago, and the yearning for the rock tossing and clatter of vehicle parts on gravel and dirt was once again satisfied in whole. As the Similkameen Valley vanished in the mirror behind us, our Okanagan Valley was cresting a view through the mountains to the east, in front of us. Two Valleys, side by each for a million years. Sisters running the earth Northish to Southish, so similar, yet as sibling must be, so very independent and individual. We crested a hill, came down into a slight valley within the mountain and off to the left Miss Superwinch noticed two young men in need of her superpowers.
They had headed out earlier that morning, in search of the ever elusive fish, were sidetracked by the evil of the mud bog and succumbed to her hidden tentacle’s. Stuck up to the axle they were, stuck up to the axle before they realized their 4-wheel drive did not function. Miss Superwinch came to their rescue no matter the cause, fault, or situation. She pulled one way, she pulled another, and within 15 minutes the youngers were freed from their sticky predicament and left to pursue their original and somewhat more daunting goal of catching fish.
Our good deed behind us, we proceeded on along, meandering along the dirt and gravel byway, looking for possible future fishing locations of our own. In another nutshell, we did not locate any suitable and welcoming future fishing locations. As the afternoon started to draw to a close, we found ourselves dipping down out of the mountains, and into our most attractive and welcoming Okanagan Valley. Dirt became pavement, which in turn eventually led to Highway 97. A right turn on that tarmac would take us due South, across the Canada-US border and a thousand kilometers later to the end of this stretch of road at Weed, California. That trip, however inviting, would have to wait for another day. I sensibly turned the steering wheel to the left, compassed North, and made the quick ½ hour trip back to Penticton, our home. Penticton comes from the Interior Salish word snpintktn, which translates to “a place to stay forever”. If the majesty of the surroundings of our weekend getaway did not reinforce our pure luck to live in an incredible place like this, then arriving home certainly backed up that fact.
We were tired, a good tired, but not undaunted enough from our little adventure to sit still. We backed the X into her well deserved parking spot and unloaded what required unloading. A quick beach picnic was plotted and planned, and we departed as quickly as we had arrived back at our homestead. The remaining hours of daylight were spent staring out across the serenity of Okanagan lake, eating fried chicken, watching the dogs play on the beach like nothing else in the world matters. Our thoughts pressed forward to our next little adventure, and further ahead to July, for our next much longer foray into this thing called “overlanding”: a two-week adventure and journey to Colorado.

Ricer_X_01

Observer
Great trip report! And that second camp site looks surreal. Awesome job with the Xterra as well... been following its progress. Will be spreading my Xterra's wings at the end of month with a 4wk/8k mile road trip across the US. Very excited. Anyways, keep up the good work on these posts as I really enjoy following them.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Loved it, very well written and good photos. Looked like a beautiful spot that you had up on the top of the ridge.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles