Steering on trailer axel?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
A thread on here got me thinking, has anyone ever had or heard of anyone putting a steering axle on their trailer. In tight quarters, especially for full size rigs, it seems like it would be a blessing.

I was imagining pneumatic or hydraulic with auto return and a pin or rod to secure in the neutral position when on the hardball.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

DaveNay

Adventurer
Go find a friend with a hay wagon, hook it up to your truck and drive it around for an hour. You will quickly learn the reasons why road trailers don't have steering axles.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Doesn't really help to be honest. It sounds like you're looking for a problem to your solution. Can you honestly think of a situation where you'd actually NEED trailer axle steering to get out a jam that you couldn't with a normal axle?

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i was just posing the question. I could see it being useful in switch back turns and tight trees and such. Being able to cheat the trailer wider to the right when turning left or the other way around. And having a way to secure or stop the steering while on the highway.

Considering my current trailer still has a truck axle underneath it wouldnt be that much weight.

And im not talking about a four wheeled hay trailer.

I like the video thanks for posting it.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i been looking on line tonight trying check this out. Looks like commercial vehicles in Europe have several companies making this type of thing for Big trucks vehicles.

It seems to offer the type of maneuverability i was talking about . Making a tight turn and realizing mid turn youre not going clear and object. It allows you to back up while steering trailer away from, when you dont have room to do it conventially.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I was hoping one y'all would be the guinea Pig. I'm just the idea guy .....with no idea. Lol. it will be a while but I'm thinking about it. My vehicle is big enough it would be a helpful ability.

Last edited:

jkosten

Observer
I would think the steering control would have to be fully manual from the cab and some sort on towing lockout for highway use.

For most expo trailers a Dana 44 with a steering ram and electric pump to power would work pretty well. Just use safety valves to prevent the cylinder from creeping.

sent from my pocket...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Steering can be done with brake controllers, set up for each tire. You can move things out of the way with your brakes. More stuff under the trailer is asking for problems I think.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
How do you steer it? Or is it a front end axle and a rear end axle like a hay trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles