Steel Wheels

shogun

Adventurer
Anybody have a source for basic, inexpensive, bare-bones steel wheels in 16x7.5 with 5x130 lugs (ball seat)?

Scott Brady

Founder
I have spent some time on this, and I think the only reasonable option will be to find someone in Europe to find a set for you, and ship them over.

On my G, the plan is just to keep the stock aluminum 16" units. They are a high-quality wheel.

G-force

Adventurer
Are we talking about wheels to the 460 or the 463?

There is a difference in backspacing on the different versions, and steel wheels for the 463 isnt widely availeble.

But for the 460 it shouldnt be any problem.

Prize around 150 US before shipping. That is then for 4 or 5 steel 16 x 7.5 or 16 x 7. Not quite sure what the dimension is.

Is there anyone who can calculate the shipment cost from Norway?

Will be happy to help, if you guys are interessted.

shogun

Adventurer
I have no idea which model vehicle they are used on.

My present wheels are 16x7.5 (406.4x190.5), although a 7" width would work. The offset is 1.457 (37mm), and the backspacing is 5.788 (147.02), but I can work with a different number if close. Hub bore is 3.337 (84.8mm).

I want 2 or 3 wheels for the trailer.

G-force

Adventurer
That was a few numbers that were new to me:Wow1:

As i understand now, what i ment by backspacing was then really offset.

I`ll check out overall dimensions, hub bore and offset, and see what i can come up with.

Is there a way of measuring backspacing, so that i`ll know what i am looking for?

Cool.

Indiana Drew

Observer
You can look at Sprinter wheels, but they are only available in up to 6.5x16 I believe ... Please chek the specs before though as I have never actually used them ...

shogun

Adventurer
That was a few numbers that were new to me:Wow1:

As i understand now, what i ment by backspacing was then really offset.

I`ll check out overall dimensions, hub bore and offset, and see what i can come up with.

Is there a way of measuring backspacing, so that i`ll know what i am looking for?

Cool.

The easiest way I've found to measure backspacing is to lay the wheel on the ground, outside down, lay a piece of straightedge (wood, ruler, whatever) across the inside edge. Then measure straight down from that straightedge to the bolt/hub face.

Backspace is the dist from inside lip to the hub face. Offset is the dist between hub face and centerline (vertical) of wheel.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
For our MBUSA G-500 the standard ET is 43mm while the European G-wagen feature most the mag wheels with ET 63mm - steel wheels should be similar. The clearance depends on your tire size (rubbing on chassis or body), I do run 295/75 16 BFG tires on the 7.5" x 16 Atik wheel (ET63) but with 30mm wheel spacer - so my effective ET is now 33mm. !6" wheels are the smallest I can fit onto the G-500 - check the clearance to the brake caliper on your G-wagen, as steel wheels might have different dimensions in regard to this clearance.

A very good site to read about all the different wheels for the G-wagen:

http://rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html

shogun

Adventurer
Thats a good resource. We'll see how accurate the info is.

It looks like "ET" is the offset, but not entirely sure. Offset being the dist from hub face to wheel centerline.

G-force

Adventurer
Jepp, ET is offset.

Check this link out, for picture of the steel rim.

http://www.vtp.no/catalog/product_i...d=125&osCsid=27c83ffbbe4bbc8c44f9437c793ad385

These are steel rims from the military, non armored G-wagon. The used ones are normally painted olive green. Go figure:sombrero:

There is an exchange rate of about 7 norwegian kroner, to 1 US dollar. Or about 11 norwegian kroner, to one english pound. More or less. For those of you who needs something to gasp about:Wow1:

This prize is for brand new ones, and the prize i mentioned is for used ones.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'm not sure what your definition of cheap is, but last time I checked, Stockton Wheel offered their HD Series 20 wheels in custom bolt patterns and offsets at $110/ea for a 16x7. They'll make anything you want.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles