Steel Wheels

Indiana Drew

Observer
I'm not sure what your definition of cheap is, but last time I checked, Stockton Wheel offered their HD Series 20 wheels in custom bolt patterns and offsets at $110/ea for a 16x7. They'll make anything you want.

They will not be tight fit hub centric and the lug will be cone not ball per an exchange of emaild I had with them today ... I don't know that either are a deal killer for a set of trailer wheels, but not sure the best choice for on the truck ... I was quite excited about the series 24 Power Wagon which is what they told me they would make in 5x130 until I asked about the hub centric issue ...

deadbeat son

Explorer
My memory may be foggy, but I thought they offered quite a few more custom options than they must now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

michaelgroves

Explorer
I'd have thought the cone vs ball issue wouldn't be a problem if you use matching wheels and bolts? Not sure about the hubcentric thing, but what about just using hub-centric rings? On a trailer it really shouldn't matter, though!

Is the point of the exercise to use identical wheels/tyres on car and trailer? Or just the same basic size?

michaelgroves

Explorer
As in making the inside edge of the tire/rim narrower than with stock ET? Rubbing on full lock is what comes to mind ...

No, I meant having the wheel more outboard - a wider track but the same width tyre. (Am I right, that's less backspacing? Now you have me doubting!).

Indiana Drew

Observer
No, I meant having the wheel more outboard - a wider track but the same width tyre. (Am I right, that's less backspacing? Now you have me doubting!).

I'm sure you are correct ... The only thing about which many talk is possibility of wheel bearing wear at an accelerated rate ...

shogun

Adventurer
I'd have thought the cone vs ball issue wouldn't be a problem if you use matching wheels and bolts? Not sure about the hubcentric thing, but what about just using hub-centric rings? On a trailer it really shouldn't matter, though!

Is the point of the exercise to use identical wheels/tyres on car and trailer? Or just the same basic size?

My interest is being able to use the trailer wheels as an emergency replacement on the vehicle if needed. The tires dont need to be exact same, but a functional equivalent. The vehicle is set up for 5x130, lug (and hub) centric, and about 5.25 backspacing. Beyond that, I can work with ball seat or cone seat and obtain equivalent diameter tires.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
My interest is being able to use the trailer wheels as an emergency replacement on the vehicle if needed. The tires dont need to be exact same, but a functional equivalent. The vehicle is set up for 5x130, lug (and hub) centric, and about 5.25 backspacing. Beyond that, I can work with ball seat or cone seat and obtain equivalent diameter tires.

That is a very smart thing to do.......but I believe the hub-centric mounting is quite important - even when used just on a trailer.
Remember when using steel rims and if you Gwagen is a W463 those steel wheels might interfere with the steering tie rods (ends) at the front axle's hub knuckle - it's not just a potential tire rubbing issue.

This here is a very nice example of a G-wagen offroad trailer......features a third wheel as spare and all wheels from the trailer and the towing vehicle are fully interchangeable.

2330270.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles