Steel wheel recommendations for 100 Series

PeterN

Observer
I've just purchased a bone stock 2006 Land Cruiser and am looking to make my first modifications: rims and tires.

I was very happy with the BFG ATs on my Land Rover and I think I've found consensus that 285/75 R16 is a good fit for this vehicle and will work with no/little rubbing even before I rip out the AHC and install a lift.

Does anyone have any suggestions for quality steel 16" rims?

Anyone from the SF Bay Area have a good mechanic with experience installing Slee goodies?

Cheers,

Peter

4Beast

Observer
A lift won't help you fit bigger tires. 16" is certainly popular, but I actually prefer the look of 18's and still find that with a 33+" tire there is more than enough sidewall aired up or down, although 18" tires are usually more expensive. Not sure why you want steel wheels (looks, durability?) but most are either crazy heavy or crazy expensive, with the probable exception of Tundra takeoffs (obviously be cautious, not all are 5x150 bolt pattern). As far as tires, there are 7,000,000 threads on IH8Mud on tire preferences, so I won't clog up this thread with them.

SixLug

Explorer
If you can find a 16" factory looking steely that has a 5x150 bolt pattern, you will be a god.

The only thing that I know of are the 18" Tundra steel wheels or like the ProComp looking Jeep style steel wheels.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
stockton wheel has some great looking steelies and if you want to have then custom widened they can do that as well.

I had them custom widen some FJ40 wheels from 15x5.5 to 15x8 and the OEM hubcaps still fit for my 60. Easy to work with aswell.

http://stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 68

4Beast

Observer
This is pure comedy.

Well, it is now.

A lift will not change the arc that the wheel takes, only where it starts, if it rubs at full compression stock, it will rub at full compression lifted, it may just take longer to get there. Unless you are talking about a body lift, which actually would help. But I suspect you're just trying to be a smart-***.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, it is now.

A lift will not change the arc that the wheel takes, only where it starts, if it rubs at full compression stock, it will rub at full compression lifted, it may just take longer to get there. Unless you are talking about a body lift, which actually would help. But I suspect you're just trying to be a smart-***.

No. I'm not trying to be smart. I'm just pointing out that your saying "a lift won't help you fit bigger tires" is ridiculous. There are many different types of suspension, and many ways ways to lift each of them. There are almost none that won't allow you to fit larger than stock tires. Whether those tires rub or not depends on what you choose and how you set it up.

windtraveler

Observer
I’m eager to see what you find. I’m looking for the same except I plan on going with a 235/85/16. I am hoping to find a solid steel wheel similar looking to the stock wheels on older 3/4 ton pickups. I just like the way the wheels look and the 235/85 ( 10 ply) has always been my favorite tire size. I have had much better experiences with skinny than wider tires.

zimm

Expedition Leader
you'll gain nothing from a steel wheel on a 100.

an 18 and a 16 in 42od won t matter, but it sure does on 33od.

4Beast

Observer
No. I'm not trying to be smart. I'm just pointing out that your saying "a lift won't help you fit bigger tires" is ridiculous. There are many different types of suspension, and many ways ways to lift each of them. There are almost none that won't allow you to fit larger than stock tires. Whether those tires rub or not depends on what you choose and how you set it up.

Well, yes, you can FIT a bigger tire with a lift, but if you USE the vehicle at all on anything bigger than a speed bump it will still have all the problems with rubbing and contact that you would have if it were stock. I could FIT 37s on my lifted truck probably, but the moment I move it, turn the wheel etc, there is going to be major problems. IH8MUD is littered with the same facts that I have provided regarding a lift not actually allowing larger tires, and while it seems counterintuitive, that doesn't change geometry.

jhawk

Adventurer
Tundra steel wheels, spacers, and 275/70/18. I wanted the skinny tire look as well (255/85/16), but there was no real 16in steel wheel option. The Tundra wheels are $57 a pop you just can't beat that, and the 275/70's are fairly narrow.

WIN_20171106_161553.JPG

WIN_20171106_161518.JPG

WIN_20171106_161536.JPG

Last edited:

PeterN

Observer
Well....here we are almost a year later and I've had no luck at all finding wheels (without spacers even though they're probably fine).

In desperation with a trip coming up the for the 4th of July, I ordered the least offensive alloy wheels I could stomach (Fuel Beast) and was assured by the vendor they would fit......long story short they didn't and now I have to RMA the 5 boxes of shiiite back to them and will likely end up with whatever is available at America's Tire that will fit and not look like a Ninja's throwing star.

1stDeuce

Explorer
People use the "spare" steel wheels on FJ's... I should think they will fit your 100 series too. Or if you have a steel spare that's different than the FJ spare wheel, there you go. Order 4 more from Toyota. ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier