002winch.jpg

004winch.jpg

005winch.jpg

Weight: 54 lbs. including controller and wires
Power: 5.5 HP
Gearing: 90:1
Line Speed: 45 ft/minute (no load)
Rating: 6,000 lbs.

I cannot thank Scott Brady enough for making this a reality. :bowdown: It's an interesting concept, and it will be fun to try it out and see how it does. The main reason I have never bothered to install a winch on my Tacoma is that I couldn't justify the added weight for the amount of use it would ever see (very little). This winch is a new model put out by Ramsey called the Triple X 6000. It's made for competition rock crawling (fast & light). The idea is that above all, it is an addition to my GVW that is acceptable, and it appears to be a very robust unit (it spools up fast!), and compact enough to fit inside my bumper. Based on conventional winch sizing methods (1.5 x GVW = rated capacity) it is under-rated for my truck by about 1,500+ lbs. But based on the history of my Toyota, and the kind of trips I do, my application doesn't really adhere to conventional parameters so this will likely be a good solution. I will carry additional synth line and snatch block to allow double-line pulling (12,000 lbs) if the situation warrants it. I plan to get a wireless remote to keep with the compact, fast & light concept.

Scott and I had a fun time working on this together, and he came up with some really great ideas at the beginning that made this look (and work) much better than I anticipated. The base we incorporated into the bumper didn't add much weight at all, but is strong as hell. The only breach of the bumper skin that ended up being required was a small opening for the little aluminum fairlead, and an opening on top for the very top of the winch, and the controller bracket.

I haven't had it on the trail yet, but so far I haven't experienced any noticeable difference in the way the front end feels driving around town. :victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
That project was a blast! It was just too much fun working on a concept that has not been implemented before, and figuring out the best way to fab everything.

I am looking forward to running some line speed tests soon. That sucker is really quick.

Suty

Adventurer
Damn, BT that is sweet, I wished I lived near a couple of forward thinking, handy guys like yourselves..........Again all I can say is that's damn nice. Tu Compadres, Suty

VikingVince

Explorer
Chris,

Very cool...i can see why you and scott had a blast putting that in

One question though...you said the main reason you never added a winch was the added weight. This one you put in weighs 54 pounds which is the same as a Warn M8000 with synthetic line....so why go with this one that has 6,000 lb pull?

I think I just figured out the answer to my own question...Warn wouldn't work with your cool, custom bumper...and you took off the ARB bumper a while back for the same weight issues...in other words, you could make this winch work with your bumper...your winch and Scott's (and mine) weigh about the same but your front bumper weighs considerably less...right?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Sweet! I was wondering when you were gonna put one up front.

Sounds like a nice winch too. Is it comparable in price to other manufacturers winches of the same size or run a few coin more?

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Looks really good. :) I have to admit, when I first saw the title, I thought it said stealthy wench instead of winch and thought about my ex for the briefest of moments. :hehe:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Thanks guys!

Vince, the Warn will not fit inside the confines of my bumper. This winch is a bit smaller (the warn bolt pattern is 10" x 4.5", the Ramsey is 4.88" x 4.5"). It is a bit faster than the M8000 also. This winch comes pre-wound with technora synth line. We weighed my bumper and I believe it was 70lbs. (right Scott?) Anyway, the idea is to try out something new and see how it does.

BN, the going price for this winch is about $899. Keep in mind it does come with synth line and small fairlead - you would have to buy those separate with the Warn. Regardless, the cost is a bit more.

Chuck, ******** at the stealthy ex :D

BX, yea, yea. We just finished it and I had to snap that pic before the sun went down! I'll paint 'em don't worry :D

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Excellent job guys. You are going against the norm on this one so make sure to update us after your first real pull.

Pete

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Very nice guys.

Chris, how well does the line spool up with that small of a fairlead? I know it isn't as important to keep a "clean" spool with synthetic, but you still want it to spool across the entire drum width, rather than just one side. I'm assuming that is 3/8" line?

Damn that is nice d00d! Just paint the hook and fairlead black, and you are about as stealthy as you can be.....

Scott Brady

Founder
goodtimes said:
Very nice guys.

Chris, how well does the line spool up with that small of a fairlead? I know it isn't as important to keep a "clean" spool with synthetic, but you still want it to spool across the entire drum width, rather than just one side. I'm assuming that is 3/8" line?

Damn that is nice d00d! Just paint the hook and fairlead black, and you are about as stealthy as you can be.....

Good question Brian,

The reason for the small fairlead is because the drum is only 4" wide. The winch only was 35' of 3/8" line. This winch is significantly narrower than the average winch.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Good question Brian,

The reason for the small fairlead is because the drum is only 4" wide. The winch only was 35' of 3/8" line. This winch is significantly narrower than the average winch.

Is the fairlead as wide as the drum? It looks narrower.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz