Stealth (safe) Generator inside compartment mods

MrBryan

I am setting up my former ambulance express Duramax 3500.

I would really like to set up one of my generators ( I have an eu3000IS and an EU2200is) In a sort of cabinet inside that vents to the outside.

I would like it to be very difficult to hear or see from outside and feel very safe running it (with a couple of CO detectors).

And ideally I can access it from a sealing door so I can turn it on (the 2200 even needs to be pull cranked… 3000 could add remote starting to the electronic start)

One of my thoughts is to build a sort of solid air-tight enclosure that is at the ground level inside back and has a chimney going straight up to the roof that is perfectly sealed, and may be an in-line blower to help that along.

Another thought would be to use a woodstove that is already designed to seal well and maybe split the chimney port into an intake and exhaust.

I am certain that others have built things and have thoughts!

motovan_mn

Sounds like you have the right idea to get started. Regardless of how you implement it, seems like a carbon monoxide detector in your living space is going to be critical.

With the in-line blower, setting it up so it generates a negative pressure in your generator box (sucking air out) would reduce the risk of any unwanted gases getting into your living space.

Final question, which I'm pretty certain i know the answer to - why generators instead of a solar + battery bank system? Assuming you want to save cost since you already own the generators, but you could probably sell them for decent money to partially fund a solar setup. Cleaner, quieter, don't have to buy fuel, etc, etc...

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’d include the design to have an enhanced air flow to feed the genny, and not just try to double use the CO vent stack. I didn’t see any mention of burnable air intake above.

Might even want a Oxygen Deficiency Monitor inside the rig. Your genny needs sufficient oxygen to run smoothly and if it’s getting starved due to the “air tight” box it’s in, it could also possibly try to suck air out of your living quarters.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
You might want to google "generator quite box" or "generator silencer box" for ideas.

MrBryan

Thanks most of the quiet box examples li found were not designed to seal exhaust fumes safely indoors so much as sit outside the vehicle.

Reason I would like to have the option instead of solar is to run an air conditioning the hard time that it goes up to, say 50° Celcius like it did last year during the heat dome where I was glad I wasn’t camping. But it might make sense to invest in a lot more solar/battery than I already have to make that a rare need.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Keep in mind that you need a massive amount of fresh air for an air-cooled generator to avoid overheating.

I played around with a compartment mounted EU2000 on my camper, and it took every bit of CFM from a 12" electric radiator fan (and large vents) to keep it cool.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve got one like this that I picked up for $125 with only 180 hours on it.673D2489-70FF-451E-B6E6-0D2A1ED7B378.jpeg
Came on a class A and was designed for what you are doing.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't understand the requirement that's driving both a generator and stealth.

If you want stealth - get a big battery and a solar setup.
If you need the power of a genset, then so be it.

IMHO, you will never 100% silence a generator, so any pretense to stealth is just that - pretense.

MrBryan

I have tested it up inside my Thule box on the truck roof with a couple of vents on the side and a fan and it is very hard to hear above ambient noise. But inaccessible. I will definitely get better solar set up but there are days where I just would not be able to run an air conditioner, microwave , and possible an incinerating toilet without some generator assist and I would like to have the option so I will dare to pretend :)

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I can’t make out the model number or anything from it. What is it? Diesel generator?
Mine is a Onan 3600 LP.

Cummins Onan RV QG 3600 LP—Onan 3.6 LP Generator| 3.6KYFA-26120
  • Cummins Onan RV QG 3600 LP Generator – Series RV QG 4000.
  • Meets National Park Service sound level requirements (60 dB(A) @ 50 ft.)
  • USDA Forest Service-approved, spark-arresting muffler.
  • Microprocessor control with diagnostics and troubleshooting.
  • 4-point vibration isolation for exceptionally smooth, quiet operation.
  • Cummins-Onan OHV engine for Fuel Efficient Operation
  • Lightweight, compact design includes full housing with enclosed muffler.
  • 3-Year Consumer Warranty.

New they’re stupid expensive. There’re diesel ones also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier