Stealth Camper Build

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'm in the process of building my stealth van and I am trying to think of something to paint on the outside to discourage rip off artists. Something like "poisonous reptile transport" or " adult diaper service".
Any suggestions?

Rothschild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Services. With brown paint highlights.

rb70383

Observer
Nice build. Trying to decide on a 5x8 or 5x10 as well to pull behing either our Ramcharger or 98 GC. Is the 10' include the V nose? Or is it just the square part of the box? I am currently thinking a 5x8 with a V nose for the extra room but your 10' doesnt seem much bigger. Any troubles off road?

Stouttrout

Adventurer
very cool way to hide the panels for sure. RB, I was going to go with the 8' but I glad I went with the 10. The measurement on this brand is not including the V over the tongue. Just the square part. No troubles for what I did and plan to do with it. Rough and rocky roads with tight bends. It seems to do very well and hauls great too.

I have some pics posted on my Facebook of the trip if you want to see them. Feel free to comment as well.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4262081318343.2172752.1475276908&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4283615696689.2173339.1475276908&type=3

TACO721

Observer
trailer looks good man! i was thinking about a teardrop style. with a bed and everything. but am thing about something closer to this instead. #1 little cheaper to build. easier. and could keep extra parts and stuff in. other than just the truck bed.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I had been planning a teardrop and drawn up at least 15 different ones over the last 9 years. This ended up costing less and had less work in it and came out nice. i am very happy with it.

Last edited:

TACO721

Observer
yeah. i have not built any kinda trailer. something like this would be a lot easier for my first trailer.(i assume i would make more than one over the years. as i got more into it)

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
This is a cool little awing you can mount anywhere. I can put it over the kitchen area or the off the side. Has anyone used one of these? Does anyone have anything better?

awning_vgn_2.jpg

I don't know about better, but my wife designed and made a matching set for our teardop. The construction of it begins on post #105 of our build thread. Imagine our surprise after making the awnings and finding the picture of the VW van setup on the internet!

Diggin' your CT conversion!

Stouttrout

Adventurer
Working on the AC system.

This is a vent used on house roofs. It is going to be used for the intake to help get out the humidity.
1_zpshnow1gr0.jpg

This will be the hook up for the duct work. This is an RV septic tank 4 hook flange.
2_zpsltx9sood.jpg

Here it is almost done. The pipe vent on the bottom will be for return air. The top box will be for the AC air.
3_zpsnlwvm5on.jpg

Still need to seal it all up and do some more work on it but you get the idea.
4_zpsnzc5ckqb.jpg

Last edited:

Stouttrout

Adventurer
Tonights work:

AC sitting behind the tire doing a test run. It was 82 in the garage and I got the camper down to 65. It did that in 25 minutes and held it for an hour.
6_zpszdeozwhf.jpg

Will probably shorten the ducts but here you can see the front of the AC and how it hooks up through the floor.

5_zpsdsaftfff.jpg

Scored some SWEET stainless pipe super cheap thanks to Lowes marking down wrong. This is the duct work inside.
7_zpsgh5dr4bq.jpg

Here you can see one intake and one exhaust.
8_zpst6grglp1.jpg

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
Looks cool, the only issue I see is skin durability. I have a 8x14 and the thin aluminum gets hammered even just using it on the highway. Look to put some larger diamond plate on the front for sure. I equipped mine with unistrut style channel to create various mount points internally for ANYTHING that can be adjusted in split second. It is far cheaper than "E" channel you see around, both for the channel and the various parts available. I did both some horizontal and vertical points.

Ironwood

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Nice Build! Very cost effective and creative. Nice to see that you put it to good use already.
Like the A/C set-up.

FWIW Just put an A/C in our small Limo Bus that is made for Semi-Truck Sleeper Cabs.
They recommended that the return air is low to floor and out-put is vented to sleeping area.
Output is vented to sleeping area, so the whole inside temperature doesn't need to be cooled down before getting benefit of the cooler air.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
Looks cool, the only issue I see is skin durability. I have a 8x14 and the thin aluminum gets hammered even just using it on the highway. Look to put some larger diamond plate on the front for sure. I equipped mine with unistrut style channel to create various mount points internally for ANYTHING that can be adjusted in split second. It is far cheaper than "E" channel you see around, both for the channel and the various parts available. I did both some horizontal and vertical points.

Ironwood

I thought about that, the lamination of the rigid insulation helps a bit and the front already has a good kicker panel at the bottom. I plan to do some tube work on the side to help fend off the nasties.

Nice Build! Very cost effective and creative. Nice to see that you put it to good use already.
Like the A/C set-up.

FWIW Just put an A/C in our small Limo Bus that is made for Semi-Truck Sleeper Cabs.
They recommended that the return air is low to floor and out-put is vented to sleeping area.
Output is vented to sleeping area, so the whole inside temperature doesn't need to be cooled down before getting benefit of the cooler air.

I actually looked into this and the suggestion was made to put it higher. The reason was the humidity level in this area and the build up the camper. If you look however, I built it so I can adjust it. The 90* comes off and the next piece is almost 2'. Those two piece can be swapped to lower either one depending on the air quality if the lace i am sleeping. I looked at couple of different options before leaning in the direction. Talked to an AC guy as well. I figured I had $150 in this and about 3 hours work. So no huge loss. It is still not optimal but hard to get exact when working with such a confined area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles