Stay 15" tires or move to 17"?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes, I love me some 255s :) but I just happen to have the original 15s and some Taco steel 17s. Purchase of 16 wheels would be a net addition....to which I'm not apposed, yet I'm sure I could nickle & dime myself to death on this thing.
That makes sense (or cents anyway). I'm guilty of spending a dime to save two nickels, too. The idea to rotate between a set of off highway 15" and mall terrain 17" seems like just such a case. Why take the time to sell the two sets of wheels and get one set of alright all around tires when you can buy two sets of tires and find a place to store one? :)

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
A 255/85R16 is 33x10 and not a super rare size, although there's more mud terrains than all terrain in the size. You could run 285/75R16, which is a little wider at roughly 33x11 for quite a lot more option, many of which are less aggressive.

I wanted to stick with 255/85R16 which is the size I've had on my 80 for the last three set of tires. Like you, I noticed that there are more MT than AT options in the pizza cutter size. As a result for limited AT choices in that size, I'm switching to 285/75R16 to open up more AT options for my next set of tires.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
OP, so what did you end up doing? staying with 15s, going to 17s or manning up all the way to 22s?

Not man enough for 22. Did seriously considering 20" blades

Still need a few more paychecks to save for the tires but thinking I'll go the 15" route. If only because a bit more classic and rare.

With the popular flow I never seem to go.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Not man enough for 22. Did seriously considering 20" blades

Still need a few more paychecks to save for the tires but thinking I'll go the 15" route. If only because a bit more classic and rare.

With the popular flow I never seem to go.

pskhaat,

You are my hero, lol.

15" is a better route in my opinion if you plan on spending any considerable time off road. Smaller rim will give you more sidewall which in turn adjusted to correct air pressure will give you more axle travel resulting in a more comfortable and much faster ride over rough terrain.

I run 17" rims which is the smallest I can stuff over my brake rotors, paired with 37" tires. My truck has 8" of front wheel travel up front and 10" of sideawall, 8" of which are usable to absorb bumps. Thats 16" of front axle travel and at correct pressure allow me to absolutely blast through nasty terrain.

Stuff the smallest rim and biggest tire under your truck and you will start looking for 37s or 40s before you know it.

Good luck and post pics of your LC.

Bad Frog

I am on CrazyDriei's side. If you are leaving the pavement and ever need to air down, I would stick with the 15 inchers. The larger side walls are your friend.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I am on CrazyDriei's side. If you are leaving the pavement and ever need to air down, I would stick with the 15 inchers. The larger side walls are your friend.
Of course. And to be clear, this is the only reason I own this 80.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I run 17’s but I have to for brake clearance. I’d run 15’s if I still could without hesitation providing the sizes I want/like are available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94