Status of US Maltec Campers?

victorc

Without going into too much details, we worked with the company a couple years ago.

We made a $5,000 deposit and were promised a delivery date a couple months later (the truck was already built and needed a restoration).

After waiting for two years (at first due to covid) and numerous calls or emails not answered, or when answered they were always a good reason that something was not done or that we could not come to Germany to check the build, we decided to abandon the project due to the too many red flags and we obviously lost our deposit. I mean, we signed a contract that could have protected us but “they lost it” and simply ghosted us after we asked for a refund… I am not going too much into the details but quickly wanted to share the terrible experience we had.

Definitively made me a little uneasy to see overland journal promote they recent build…

anyway, ton of awesome builders out there that have serious businesses and are great to work with

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Without going into too much details, we worked with the company a couple years ago.

We made a $5,000 deposit and were promised a delivery date a couple months later (the truck was already built and needed a restoration).

After waiting for two years (at first due to covid) and numerous calls or emails not answered, or when answered they were always a good reason that something was not done or that we could not come to Germany to check the build, we decided to abandon the project due to the too many red flags and we obviously lost our deposit. I mean, we signed a contract that could have protected us but “they lost it” and simply ghosted us after we asked for a refund… I am not going too much into the details but quickly wanted to share the terrible experience we had.

Definitively made me a little uneasy to see overland journal promote they recent build…

anyway, ton of awesome builders out there that have serious businesses and are great to work with

Wow, so sorry to hear.
Your story mirrors others I've heard about. Just goes to show Maltec is still producing shenanigans vs happy customers. What a shame.

PS--this article? https://expeditionportal.com/announ...ruiser-camper-the-ultimate-toyota-overlander/
Sadly, no comments allowed. Maybe that's to safeguard the wrath of comments that might unleash onto Maltec?

Last edited:

gentimmy

Do you have any suggestions for outfitters who will develop a contained solution like Maltec did?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Wow, so sorry to hear.
Your story mirrors others I've heard about. Just goes to show Maltec is still producing shenanigans vs happy customers. What a shame.

PS--this article? https://expeditionportal.com/announ...ruiser-camper-the-ultimate-toyota-overlander/
Sadly, no comments allowed. Maybe that's to safeguard the wrath of comments that might unleash onto Maltec?
It show how out of touch the leadership is with the actual forum, this is exactly like the pop up ad deal.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Do you have any suggestions for outfitters who will develop a contained solution like Maltec did?

On which chassis vehicle?

It show how out of touch the leadership is with the actual forum, this is exactly like the pop up ad deal.

I can't disagree with you, as author GB here on ExPo is VERY well aware of Maltec shenanigans, and was supposedly writing an article about "Maltec experiences," although I never heard if the article was being written for ExPo or OJ or some other outlet.
Pop up ad deal?

gentimmy

On which chassis vehicle?

I can't disagree with you, as author GB here on ExPo is VERY well aware of Maltec shenanigans, and was supposedly writing an article about "Maltec experiences," although I never heard if the article was being written for ExPo or OJ or some other outlet.
Pop up ad deal?

My apologies, the 200 series

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My apologies, the 200 series

I know of a shop on the west coast who will be building something similar on a rowdy FZJ80. But it'll be awhile until it's complete, and it'll be a custom 1off to start (until they get more orders).

Have you spoken to Tom's Fahrz.... in Germany? https://www.toms-fahrzeugtechnik.de
Have a look at them.
Or there are MANY others in Germany like Langer + Bock, etc. Sky and pocketbook is the limit! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles