Status of US Maltec Campers?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Or some people want the best and almost unique rig and can easily afford it and the price for peace of mind is worth it to them. Not everyone wants it to have an old crappy truck that might well break down because “that’s part of the fun” in order to enjoy their time in the backcountry.
Well said

shade

139,000?
I just don’t get this modern mindset.. just throw a pile of money at every possible issue so nothing ever goes wrong on the journey...So people spend forever saving up enough money to buy something that will never break down, with every type of recovery equipment you can imagine, When they could be on the road enjoying themselves. Spend some time learning about the vehicle you own. An older Land Cruiser is about the easiest vehicle you can fix and maintain. I’ve driven the older diesels 100,000 miles with no problems. I would not hesitate to import a diesel powered Land Cruiser from Japan, give it a compression check, Check change all fluids, replace the radiator, clutch and service items and head south for six months of worry free driving. And if you run into a mechanical problem, Either fix it or have it fixed. The slight nagging worry That something might go wrong is part of the adrenaline that keeps you going.
Stop trying to drive 75 mph with an expedition vehicle, get one that’ll get to 68 mph with a tail wind and save yourself a lot of time, effort and money.
My 2$
Or some people want the best and most unique rig and can easily afford it and the price for peace of mind is worth it to them. Not everyone wants it to have an old crappy truck that might well break down because “that’s part of the fun” in order to enjoy their time in the backcountry.
Two ends of the Used Vehicle Continuum.

Nice truck, Phil.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
What options do they have for seating three people. I looked on their site and none of their info addresses people who have more than 1 other person in their life.

That is very common with the Euro builders, not really sure if it is just that people travel before or after kids but when I went to the Alrad (huge, massive offroad show in Germany) I noticed everything was setup for 2 people

ucs308

Observer
That is very common with the Euro builders, not really sure if it is just that people travel before or after kids but when I went to the Alrad (huge, massive offroad show in Germany) I noticed everything was setup for 2 people

I am trying desperately to avoid #vanlife. I am looking for something that is as flexible as my 4Runner, but allow the three of us to travel and be able to sleep inside and cook inside when required.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My current rig is a double cab Tacoma with a Treehouse camper and we recently took our 3yr old niece on her first camping trip.
My wife and I slept above and we made her a bed below and it worked perfectly. Still room for the fridge, dual batteries and other kit in the truck bed along with her sleep area.
Something to consider.....I am selling my setup soon so there will be plenty of pics in posted in the next day or so.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What options do they have for seating three people. I looked on their site and none of their info addresses people who have more than 1 other person in their life.

Most all Maltec are custom builds and can accommodate your needs from mild to wild.
Almost completed is a 200 series with a 3rd seat for a USA customer.
The latest Maltec innovations is the Tundra project being built for the USA market with sleeping and seating for 4+. With an expected turn key price point of sub 150K.

Truck2.jpg

Upland80

Adventurer
Most all Maltec are custom builds and can accommodate your needs from mild to wild.
The latest Maltec innovations is the Tundra project being built for the USA market with sleeping and seating for 4+. With an expected turn key price point of sub 150K.

View attachment 541134
Maybe I'm in the minority or maybe this stuff is just out of my financial league, but I think this truck is ridiculous. Who needs all this? Buy a Tundra, stick a camper shell on it and go camping...
Tundra.jpg

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
I always like to laugh at these back and forth conversations about the Mal-Tec type of trucks... For that matter, Timex or Rolex?!?!?!!! We can all name many of them, Mal-Tec, Earthroamer, GXV, Sportsmobile, FJ Company "Land Cruisers", ICON "Land Cruisers". Who cares! What I like and can afford is my deal and when these companies build these type of trucks it opens up all kinds of ideas thoughts, incentives to seek out what makes you or me happy. I love well build unique precise gear, equipment and vehicles and try to buy quality stuff that doesn't let me down. There is a a video out there from Jonathan Ward of ICON speaking at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum and why he has no problem building $200,000 + trucks, he doesn't need to design them to be built cheap, instead he can over build them and price them accordingly.

The new Jeep JL and Gladiator are really cool and you can go nuts customizing them, however, everyone does it! And some of those get built I'm sure up to $100,000!

My Rolex tells the exact time that other watches do, but for me I'll stick with the one that holds value that not everyone has and is something I will hand down to my son someday.

Land Cruiser Phil, cool trucks, I hope they have a continuing presence in the U.S. What ever happen to Alex?

Upland 80... Super cool Tundra and camper!!! If it works for you enough said.

Salty42

View attachment 541134
Are they looking for anyone to be the first to own one or even taking deposits? I am so interested. PM me

C p weinberger

Maltec camper and a Tacoma with a camper shell, that’s like comparing a mule to a race horse, both good a their own job, useless for each other’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles