Starting to see a trend.

Mcfly

My team is starting to notice that there are a lot less people going missing and/or lost. So much so that our tasking agency (RCMP) is now asking more and more to help with evdence search, some of which are major crimes. Just wondering if it's the same else where?

Spikepretorius

Explorer
In my area guys get themselves into trouble all the time.
The bulk of our call-outs are mountain rescues (lost or injured climbers, crashed hanggliders etc) and rescues related to flooding in the wet season.

Apart from being surrounded by mountains we have Table Mountain slap bang in the middle of the city which attracts droves of people.

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Observations...

I have seen a number of changes in the last 15 years I have been involved in Search & Rescue.

The use of cellular phones has increased the number of callouts surrounding major metro areas like Seattle. This is for a few reasons: 1) More people are getting out and taking their phones with them. 2) There is better cell coverage in wilderness areas. 3) People have come to rely on their phones for more and more. They are more likely to call for help than to self rescue in many cases.

Here in Idaho, 20 miles from Boise (or less) and you are outside of cell range. Folks seem more self reliant and more experienced in the back country. By the time they can send for help they are usually able to self rescue from their situation.

One thing that may change the face of SAR more than any other device since the cell phone is the new SPOT beacons. I think as those devices become more widespread we will begin to see calls for assistance from areas that were previously "off the grid" in terms of traditional cellular coverage.

Often these devices (cell phones, and now SPOT) have given people a false sense of security that will drive them to push their limits further than they may have without the security of contact with the outside world.

My $0.02.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I carry a SPOT myself, and really like it. At least with a SPOT we'll get a lat/lon position...instead of "um...I'm on the side of a mountain; by a canyon."

-H-

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
For Alberta specifically, there is relationship between people getting lost and the increase in wireless coverage. I've saw some stats on it last year.

Alberta has some of the strongest rural coverage in the world - almost all due to oil and gas drilling. The simple fact is that there are more places that little handheld phone works now to call home for help and as a result less calls to SAR.

Pete

BriansFJ

Adventurer
We (Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak area) have had a reduction in searches, per se, but we often get callouts for folks with cell phones who can get a signal but have no clue where they are. So, we do the "can you see this peak" or "do you see the city lights" drill, and can usuaully narrow down where they are so we simply walk up the trail and "retrieve" them. What cell phones have done is eliminate a lot of the overdue hiker stand-down calls we get when someone shows back up at home after going for an unplanned dinner after a hike.

However, we're still one of the busiest teams in the state.:rappel:

Mcfly

mountainpete said:
For Alberta specifically, there is relationship between people getting lost and the increase in wireless coverage. I've saw some stats on it last year.

Alberta has some of the strongest rural coverage in the world - almost all due to oil and gas drilling. The simple fact is that there are more places that little handheld phone works now to call home for help and as a result less calls to SAR.

Pete

Your right about the wireless covrage out west in alberta. I remember camping on the trunk road with no cell service, Now I can surf the web in the middle of no where.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior