Starting my own Expedition Utility Build from Scratch

deanorino

Welp, new here, but not to forums. Hang out more on the FJ cruiser forums, but now that I am close to starting my build I wanted to post here!

You guys are a great resource of information, and so please provide help as you see fit! I like when other people can tell me about their mistakes, so I dont have to make them myself..

Here is the overview so far..

Initial idea, quick and dirty!

n4IkZgR.jpg

uAPFasQ.jpg

The idea is to have a removable box which locks in using latches of sorts so I can haul the bikes, or when im not riding haul camping gear in the back. There will be a fold out extendable section for the bikes when I am towing them that way I can keep the trailer short.

The wedges you see will be some sort of brackets, but not sure what kind yet.

Here was what I got done today..

fckF4SN.jpg

Z3hq5EU.jpg

lMuEksA.jpg

I will be using a trailer kit from ABCTrailers, which was recommended by some Expedition Portal members.

$180 plus shipping for everything I need besides the metal to get the thing rolling. (cheaper than a harbor freight trailer!)

Im estimating around 400-500 for metal right now..I have been using Metals Depot Online for ideas of price.

To get rough prices. I will get quotes from local industrial suppliers in the California Bay Area when I get close to the build portion. Im thinking I can score some great deals at an industrial metal supply I know of near the Oakland Airport.

Decided on Channel Iron instead of square tube for the frame as

1. It offers similar strength and is even utilized on many MIL trailers guys love to tow.

2. Dont have to worry about trapped moisture and rust

3. Slightly lighter than square tube, and should be easier to fab

4. Because I like to be different and I feel that this approach will get the results im looking for!

I am planning on making the tailgate load capable for towing two dirt bikes on the ramp along with one more on the straight through hitch/tongue combo.

I have NOT played with weight and balance and axle position too much..I figure I have to fab the frame up first and go from there.

Tips are welcome....!

rnArmy

Adventurer
DSCN0352.1.jpgBantam.3.jpgJeep and trailer from PA trip.jpg

Since you asked... here's a trailer build thread I started years ago that's still going. I used a Harbor Freight type 4' trailer (uses channel) and over the years it has morphed into what you see above. I've learned a lot over the years as to what works well and not-so-well when traveling with a little trailer. Wrapping all your gear in a tarp; not so well. Having everything in a sealed diamond plate tub; works very well. My next mod for the trailer is to swap out the 1500lb square-tube axle for a round 3500lb axle with electric brakes (I think my four cylinder TJ would appreciate the electric brakes).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

The build thread is long, but it includes a lot of ideas from other folks, and lots of links. It is amazing how much you can put into even a small trailer.

Last edited:

deanorino

Thanks for the post! And I browsed your link for a few hours.. lots of good ideas! Helps me to design my own...

Here is close to the final product. Will change slightly before fabrication.

Got the removable box made up.

Trailer with Box.jpg

Trailer with box 2.jpg

Trailer with box 3.jpg

Trailer with box 4.jpg

Trailer with box 5.jpg

deanorino

So I have changed the design slightly. Went to a single tailgate in the back, and a soft topper for the lid...This will allow it to be versatile and weatherproof (mostly) when needed. The box will not be removable, and I made the sides taller. Here is the progress pictures. Sorry for the lack of details. Il post more tomorrow with some more explanations.

EDIT: Sorry...for some reason the uploader isn't working for me, and I don't have enough posts to supply links...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online