Starting a camper shell project

Tforst1

I am new to this forum. I have a 2012 Ford F-150 5.0 v8 extended cab 6.5 bed and I am starting a camper shell build and thought I would post about it here. I have found some great ideas in this forum and figured I would start a thread of my own project. So here are some start of the project pictures. I got the ARE camper for 100$ and so far have takin the side shelves out and going to fit it to the truck soon and begin work. If ya have any comments or ideas or in put let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_2365.JPGIMG_2362.JPGIMG_2358.JPGIMG_2360.JPGIMG_2361.JPG

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Observer
Great, I'll be watching. I keep going back and forth between a camper shell, and a roof top tent mounted above the bed. So, I'm always searching for inspiration.

Tforst1

One a newer nice truck like that I would spend the money for a professional paint job.

We will see about that. It will be painted but not sure how. My buddy owns a auto body shop so if I go with a matching color. That would be the route but as he told me red is the most expensive color to paint. So I kinda sucks the paint material is going to cost twice what I paid for the camper shell but we will see. If not red I think a new coat of black will be fine.

Tforst1

I don't think I said it but I am going to try to keep this as low budget as possible. So most likely it will not have any high end fancy stuff in it. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatordoc

Adventurer
I picked up a similar ARE shell for my truck late last summer, though mine doesn't have the side storage/doors.

Subscribed to see where you go with this!

upndown

Adventurer
Love seeing what people come up with as far as affordable alternatives! Will be following along.:sombrero:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
i wouldn't pay any attention to the "take it somewhere and get a real paint job" people- as long as you go in light coats and let it fully dry (maybe 20 min) between them you can get a pretty even and good looking paint job for cheap, what color are you thinking? you'd save on paint if you went with the same thats on it already and honestly I think it's look better than color matching it

p nut

butter
If it's a budget build, I would just try to sand, prime, and use quality paint to go over it as best you can.

Tforst1

i wouldn't pay any attention to the "take it somewhere and get a real paint job" people- as long as you go in light coats and let it fully dry (maybe 20 min) between them you can get a pretty even and good looking paint job for cheap, what color are you thinking? you'd save on paint if you went with the same thats on it already and honestly I think it's look better than color matching it

The truck is called race red. If I go the cheap route it will be black. Just not sure on what sheen. If race red, my buddy owns an auto body shop and would be the price of material and maybe a case of beer. But if going that route I would also get dents out and stuff. Most likely I will not color match.

Tforst1

I am going to mount it and start work on it before paint because the outside temp here is in the thirties. So we will get to painting in the spring or maybe a warm winter day if I got time. We just had a baby and of course that requires a lot of attention too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94