Starter Comms — What should I get for basic comms to let me start joining group runs, etc?

dbhost

The cost is a factor but so is maintaining the radios. Eventually any group that's attracting new members has to decide to keep recommending CB or convince existing users to use FRS. Finding a CB is getting harder without Radio Shacks around or even many truck stops. You can get FRS radios at Walmart or Best Buy instead of eBay or garage sales. Heck, I'd wager that there even more FRS radios on Craigslist than CBs at any given moment, so finding them for next to free isn't any harder than a CB.

Then factor in a CB antenna, mount, installation and tuning. Fewer people now than ever really want to do that. Those that do are already GMRS or ham users by-and-large so CB isn't an important factor for them.

It became obvious that CB was dead in our group to me on a recent run. CB was completely duplicated by ham with people who've been around a while and every new member already had an FRS radio plus an extra or two to hand out to the people with no radios at all. They use them at the park, ski resorts, Disney Land. There's no reason to swim upstream trying to get newcomers to get onboard with CB that they're only going to use in their truck.

It may be a regional thing. CB is heavily used in Mexico, and with so much back and forth between Texas and Mexico well, you basically can't swing a dead cat without hitting one around here as the saying goes...
Yes, Radio Shack is gone, but in the audo dept at just about every Walmart I have been to there is typically a radio or two to chose from, along with at least Wilson mag mount antennae.

And honestly, most of our budget oriented members, young guys typically, are recycling dads / uncles / grandpas old CB radio and mag mount antenna.

And again, budget oriented members tend to cruise the swap meets for parts, and yes, lots of CBs and CB antennae there at nearly free prices.

I can literally go point you now to no fewer than 10 vehicles within 2 blocks of my house with either 102" whips or those coil type antennae...

Billoftt

I can point you to 10 trucks in my neighborhood with 102” whips too, except they aren’t hooked up to anything, have about 6-14 tennis balls on them and the truck is squatted.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It may be a regional thing. CB is heavily used in Mexico, and with so much back and forth between Texas and Mexico well, you basically can't swing a dead cat without hitting one around here as the saying goes...
Yes, Radio Shack is gone, but in the audo dept at just about every Walmart I have been to there is typically a radio or two to chose from, along with at least Wilson mag mount antennae.

And honestly, most of our budget oriented members, young guys typically, are recycling dads / uncles / grandpas old CB radio and mag mount antenna.

And again, budget oriented members tend to cruise the swap meets for parts, and yes, lots of CBs and CB antennae there at nearly free prices.

I can literally go point you now to no fewer than 10 vehicles within 2 blocks of my house with either 102" whips or those coil type antennae...
Use CB or don't. It makes no difference to me. It boils down to use what the people you need to talk to are all using.

It must be that no one around here has dads, uncles, grandpas because the question is always "what radio do I buy?" Which is followed by "How do I mount an antenna?" Since the people I talk to regularly abandoned CB a decade ago for amateur radio it's a moot question for us anyway. We kept CBs for one annual event and the month leading up to it was a scramble to troubleshoot everyone's CBs since they aren't used otherwise. That event is going to FRS/GMRS officially and dropping the CB requirement.

I don't get how it can be claimed a Wilson mag mount K40 at $110 is going to be the "budget minded" solution when a bubble pack with two of Ozark Trail FRS radios are $29.95.

If a fella is finding handed down stuff, that's great. Zero is better than not zero cost. I just see no point to spending money on CB and if the groups you're running with are all set with equipment then you're golden.

The problem you may run into is one we've been dealing with for a while. What happens when you come across new people or go traveling? You might need to carry an FRS radio anyway since the shift seems to be accelerating to them around the country. The local Jeep club switched last year totally from CB to GMRS, which is easily the largest group around here (western Colorado), and that caused a ripple effect across the region with other 4WD (like mine, a Toyota one) and OHV groups.

Last edited:

dbhost

Use CB or don't. It makes no difference to me. It boils down to use what the people you need to talk to are all using.

It must be that no one around here has dads, uncles, grandpas because the question is always "what radio do I buy?" Which is followed by "How do I mount an antenna?" Since the people I talk to regularly abandoned CB a decade ago for amateur radio it's a moot question for us anyway. We kept CBs for one annual event and the month leading up to it was a scramble to troubleshoot everyone's CBs since they aren't used otherwise. That event is going to FRS/GMRS officially and dropping the CB requirement.

I don't get how it can be claimed a Wilson mag mount K40 at $110 is going to be the "budget minded" solution when a bubble pack with two of Ozark Trail FRS radios are $29.95.

If a fella is finding handed down stuff, that's great. Zero is better than not zero cost. I just see no point to spending money on CB and if the groups you're running with are all set with equipment then you're golden.

The problem you may run into is one we've been dealing with for a while. What happens when you come across new people or go traveling? You might need to carry an FRS radio anyway since the shift seems to be accelerating to them around the country. The local Jeep club switched last year totally from CB to GMRS, which is easily the largest group around here (western Colorado), and that caused a ripple effect across the region with other 4WD (like mine, a Toyota one) and OHV groups.

I might just have to grab the FRS radio pack! But the problem for me at least at this time I think you hit on...

The Jeep club around here as well kind of drives what other 4x4 clubs do as they typically have the most active members.

Around here, we have a Jeep club, a Toyota club, and then a 4x4 club (which I am active in). The old 4x4 club sort of dissipated and we spun up a new one about 6 years or so ago, and since the Jeepers are still using CB we hang on to it...

I will say this much, GMRS / FRS being FM instead of AM has GOT be sound a LOT better!

Honestly, if I were starting out fresh, I would probably cruise the swap meets a couple of saturdays. I've seen Cobra 29s with Wilson mag mounts going for something like $15.00 in fairly good shape.

And probably dig into, likely pick up a GMRS rig just to have it for when the clubs do switch...

I am not saying CB is going to be around forever, heaven knows folks have been trying to kill it off to bring back that hunk of spectrum for decades. Now I haven't taken a road trip with a CB for about 3 years, but when we did, almost every channel was in active use along I-10 from Houston to Las Cruces.

DaveInDenver

I am not saying CB is going to be around forever, heaven knows folks have been trying to kill it off to bring back that hunk of spectrum for decades. Now I haven't taken a road trip with a CB for about 3 years, but when we did, almost every channel was in active use along I-10 from Houston to Las Cruces.
It's a regional thing I'm sure. CB is quiet around here for the most part on the Interstate. I've actually talked to more OTR drivers on amateur radio than CB over the past year or two. That's not to say it's been a lot or anything but it seems a handful got their ham tickets to actually have someone to talk to that wasn't trying to sell them meth or prostitutes. They got APRS position beacons working and having the ability to see other stations in the area is working out for them.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I might just have to grab the FRS radio pack! But the problem for me at least at this time I think you hit on...

The Jeep club around here as well kind of drives what other 4x4 clubs do as they typically have the most active members.

Around here, we have a Jeep club, a Toyota club, and then a 4x4 club (which I am active in). The old 4x4 club sort of dissipated and we spun up a new one about 6 years or so ago, and since the Jeepers are still using CB we hang on to it...

I will say this much, GMRS / FRS being FM instead of AM has GOT be sound a LOT better!

Honestly, if I were starting out fresh, I would probably cruise the swap meets a couple of saturdays. I've seen Cobra 29s with Wilson mag mounts going for something like $15.00 in fairly good shape.

And probably dig into, likely pick up a GMRS rig just to have it for when the clubs do switch...

I still turn on the CB when I'm on the road but its rare to hear anything around here.

The last Winter Fun Festival I was on we had an official CB channel and the group leaders were on ham. Which meant the CB was pretty much ignored and everyone communicated via ham radio except for handful who always seem to have no radio whatsoever.

ramatl73

Observer
I'm sure this will ruffle some HAM addicts feathers a bit, but I run GMRS and HAM without license - but only in emergency. I don't care what the FCC does to me if my family is safe.

Outside of that I run a CB and FRS channels on group runs. For off grid communications I'm moving to the GoAntenna Pro X mobile mesh networking system. My family purchased a group of these antennas for use when we're travelling abroad and hunting in the back country where signals suck. We can stay in contact easily. We also use Garmin inReach units for emergencies.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I'm sure this will ruffle some HAM addicts feathers a bit, but I run GMRS and HAM without license - but only in emergency. I don't care what the FCC does to me if my family is safe.

Outside of that I run a CB and FRS channels on group runs. For off grid communications I'm moving to the GoAntenna Pro X mobile mesh networking system. My family purchased a group of these antennas for use when we're travelling abroad and hunting in the back country where signals suck. We can stay in contact easily. We also use Garmin inReach units for emergencies.

When it's life and death use whatever means you have available! No ruffled feathers here about that.

That being said getting your ham licensee is pretty easy these days. Why not make it legal?

DaveInDenver

I don't care if you run GMRS unlicensed. No, you're right though, as a ham I don't like people who run unlicensed but it's actually a bit more offensive that you do so publicly as though it's some sort of badge of honor. It's easy. Even little kids like 9 years old can ace it.

The main reason to get the license is so that you can participate in the hobby and use your gear daily. You know, so you can practice with it, know for sure it's functioning and programmed right and so that you won't have to pull out a manual or fumble around figuring it out with the additional stress when someone's got a broken leg or you need a fellow ham to relay a 911 call for you.

If you want to trust it being failsafe useful in a life-or-property situation that seems like something that would have occurred to you as important. That's why we check into radio nets periodically and chat to each other on commutes. It's not that we all exactly *like* to talk (although it helps). It's literally a daily comm check.

Bodybag

so being a noob, a mobile ham radio and taking course would be best bet ? technician license ok or bump up?

ramatl73

Observer
When it's life and death use whatever means you have available! No ruffled feathers here about that.

That being said getting your ham licensee is pretty easy these days. Why not make it legal?

I don't like to pay the government anything I don't need to. This goes for anything. I understand the issue, but if I need to use this in real life the license won't mean squat. So why get it?

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I don't like to pay the government anything I don't need to. This goes for anything. I understand the issue, but if I need to use this in real life the license won't mean squat. So why get it?

The only problem with that approach is you're not going to be the one to decide if your usage was within the bounds of an emergency. Also even if it is an emergency you could still be fined. From the cases I've read about over the years those fines can be very high and very costly to fight. But it's your risk, not mine.

As most have mentioned, you need to find a 4X4 group you feel comfortable and enjoy off-roading with and find out what they use. If it was me, I’d start with an FRS, not all groups use GMRS yet but that’s changing.

As you off-road the more your needs will change. The first group I went out with used FRS’s. These were great but if we got farther than a mile apart on the road or trail they got intermittent. A handheld transmitting 5 watts inside a metal vehicle doesn’t go very far.

I then connected with a group that only uses ham. I prefer this over the any of the others. On one trip we were over 60 miles from the closest town and needed to communicate our position to someone joining our group. Using a ham repeater 60 miles away we were able give them our position and keep in touch until he showed up.

Another group I travel with used CB but are now moving GMRS. I now have a CB that I will probable have to mothball.

I find it interesting that it costs $70 for a GMRS license and $15 for a ham license. With on-line practice tests and a little basic math anyone can pass the ham test.

As most have mentioned, you need to find a 4X4 group you feel comfortable and enjoy off-roading with and find out what they use. If it was me, I’d start with an FRS, not all groups use GMRS yet but that’s changing.

As you off-road the more your needs will change. The first group I went out with used FRS’s. These were great but if we got farther than a mile apart on the road or trail they got intermittent. A handheld transmitting 5 watts inside a metal vehicle doesn’t go very far.

I then connected with a group that only uses ham. I prefer this over the any of the others. On one trip we were over 60 miles from the closest town and needed to communicate our position to someone joining our group. Using a ham repeater 60 miles away we were able give them our position and keep in touch until he showed up.

Another group I travel with used CB but are now moving GMRS. I now have a CB that I will probable have to mothball.

I find it interesting that it costs $70 for a GMRS license and $15 for a ham license. With on-line practice tests and a little basic math anyone can pass the ham test.
FYI, as of April19 the fee for the GMRS License dropped to $35 (still good for ten years).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles