Started my WFA pack for vehicle use.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Started my WFA kit today. Unpacked the boxes and repacked everything into heavy ziplock bags.

If you see any glaring ommisions please let me know!

I was unable to get glucose gel in a single pack - a three pack was $18.00. I also need burn dressings.

Attachments

• contents.jpg
    contents.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 194
  • packed.jpg
    packed.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 125

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Don't worry about burn drsngs...
I can tell you from working shifts at the Maricopa Country Burn Center that you can do just fine with lots of rolls of gauze and water clean enough to drink.
Matter of fact I have taken alot of the fancy stuff out of my kits and mainly just trust to lots of rolls of gauze (you can cut small bits off if needed vs those single square pkgs) and tape & water.
Also get a 20ml syringe with blunt tip for wound washing (I can send you one if you pm me)
Then benadryl and some other basic meds....your Dr should be cool about a script for an epi pen..worth it's wgt in gold if needed

Caoboy

Adventurer
Super glue works just as well as the 'new skin' liquid stitches. They are the same thing, except the liquid stitches has some agent in it to make it flexible when it dries.

Duct tape is a great 'waterproof' tape if you need something more 'durable', that and some papertowels/guaze make a bandaid that's bullet proof (Not really :) )

Neosporin (sp?)

Benadryl (topical/pill)

albuterol (and atrovent if possible) inhaler (need a script, never know when you might need it from smoke inhalation or other respiratory issue)

Anti-itch creams

Hydrogen-peroxide

Aloe Vera gel? For a sun burn it'll help, but not really needed.

Aspirin/ibuprofen/tylenol

I carry most of these things all the time in my car.
I'm sure someone will come in here with a super medkit and make you envious...like with a WALK pack or something LOL

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey Lance!

Got a 20ml Syringe from Kristina - far left center in photo. Thanks for the offer tho! I'm going in to see my Doc on Monday to see about getting a Epi-pen.

I carry Benadryl caps, Naproxyn, and lots of duck tape in the truck.

There is no need for Hydrogen-peroxide or Neosporin if the wound is clean and properly bandaged.

On another note, I have made a descision to not perform CPR unless it is a witnessed event or family member. I have done CPR 7 times while in the USCG, and not one of them recovered. In all those cases the person collapsed or drowned well before our arrival on scene. In a wilderness/off highway event the chances of recovery are even lower without a defib unit.

Mark

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
peroxide is no longer part of wound care...
flush with water & dress...repeat often
also neosporin is way over used...
clean is the name of the game.

On the CPR thing....dude you are preaching to the choir here. I code someone here in the hospital way too often and most of them don't ever go home. The stats on someone in the field making to back to home after the hospital is under 5%
That said more than likely I would still do compressions just cuz that is how I am...but it would suck that is for sure.
I have been watching the price of AED's come down and I really am working hard to get my son's boy scout troop to get one for all the times we have grandma/grandpa, old uncles and such around.
As the price continues to fall I hope to get one myself....but as an ICU RN I am totally cool with using it.

The number one thing you can do is play "what if" games in your head all the time, on the trail, just driving down the highway, any chance you get think about all the things that could happen and what you would do.
Studies have shown that playing "what if" is as good as actual experience in keeping you from freezing in panic.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies Lance - your insight is invaluable.

I've been doing "What If's" for years - both from my USCG days and from my training with Chuck Taylor's ASAA.

Added an Epi-Pen to the kit today. My Doc was totally cool about it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Tampons: Plugs puncture injuries better than anything else.

"ACE" bandage: Combine with gauze to make a very awesome pressure dressing, specifically for axillary areas.

2" Tape: Go big or go home.

SAM Splint: Not only is it an awesome splint, it can also act as a C collar.

Pedialyte: Excellent for dehydration.

CAT tourniquet: Simple to use, even if its on your self. Also very effective, although it can take two to stop femoral bleeding. Might not sound important in "expo environment" but a broken bone can very easily shred the veins around it.

Common sense: Best medical tool EVER!!!!

Something I learned as a Medic on both of my tours to the middle east.... leave all the "gee-wizzzzz" crap where it belongs, on the shelf! Use the most basic, simple, and uncomplicated solution. The faster you can stabilize an injury, the faster you can evac them to a higher level of care.

As for wound care, if its a serious wound requiring evac, don't go overboard cleaning it or trying to use liquids, creams, or sprays to disinfect it, thats why they make antibiotics. I know I am not as educated as some on here when it comes to clinical treatment, but if you have any questions on how to treat an injury in a filthy environment far from home, and using minimal supplies... feel free to ask.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your service and insite!

I'll get a couple ACE type wraps to throw in for sure great for sprains/strains as well.

The VetRap/CoBan works like wide tape - awesome product.

From my USCG training I can make a pretty fair tourniquet with a triangle bandage. I'll investigate the CAT type tho!

http://www.narescue.com/index.htm Looks like an interesting resource

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your service and insite!

I'll get a couple ACE type wraps to throw in for sure great for sprains/strains as well.

The VetRap/CoBan works like wide tape - awesome product.

From my USCG training I can make a pretty fair tourniquet with a triangle bandage. I'll investigate the CAT type tho!

http://www.narescue.com/index.htm Looks like an interesting resource

NAR sells all kinds of neat stuff, and much of it is very useful. We use a lot of stuff made by them, and it has been my experience that it is of good quality.

As for the tourniquet, the beauty behind the CAT is its very simple for you to use on yourself. Use home made one on your upper arm and twist until the pulse in your wrist is non palpable. Then get up and move around for a few min... you'll see the problem. They don't work too well in the "real world". A CAT will flat out stop the blood flow, and once you lock the windlass in, its not moving.

Caduceus

Adventurer
Second at least ONE CAT or similar.

Coban is NOT tight enough for a decent pressure dressing.

Do you have any trauma dressings? it looks like there might be three in the upper left corner, but can't make them out for sure. if you don't, a couple tampons work in a pinch, as will a wad of 4x4 or a Kerlix used as a wad of gauze.

Oh, Caoboy... superglue and dermabond are NOT the same. Close, but chemically different. They're both cyanoacrylate, but the side groups are in different positions; that's what leads to the flexibility. one is 3-cyanoacrylate, one is 8-cyanoacrylate. Just saying ... though in a pinch, yes, superglue (or duct tape) works. But really, why would you want to close a wound if you're in an auto? Unless you're positive it's clean and won't be infected.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I've got lots of gauze, wrap, and 5 triangle bandages. Probably will add a few more 4x4's.

I'll look for a CAT to add.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I just saw this and wanted to add my $0.02.

I would start with a decision as to what limits you want to place on your supplies in terms of size as this makes a big difference on what you can include. Another key ingredient is whether you are carrying supplies for just yourself, your vehicle occupants, or a group of vehicles and how far in distance and time you will be from outside medical help. When I am with a group of several hundred people who will come to me for whatever "issues" may arise (and they usually do), I bring a more comprehensive kit including a backboard for immobilization. The backboard works great for other uses, so it isn't a complete waste of space--I also put it on the roof rack where it is out of the way. I wouldn't rule out either peroxide or Neosporin as these both have their uses, but they are often used inappropriately. If you don't have formal training, a simple and compact field medical manual should be included as it could be live-saving.

Cheers,
Greg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
You might want to check out Moore Medical for your supplies.

We use them here at work, and I bought a lot of my trauma kit supplies from them - quite a bit less expensive than the local box or drug store.

Not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Added a couple items to my kit today

Ordered the following from North American Rescue:
Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD) - 4 in - qty of 4 https://www.narescue.com/Emergency_Trauma_Dressing_(ETD)-CN3628A28F222B.html?BC=BB1B643B8917
Individual Patrol Officer Kit (IPOK) - qty of 1 https://www.narescue.com/Individual_Patrol_Officer_Kit_(IPOK)-CN292C1A5D0D80.html?BC=01CAD72151F1
I looked over my stuff, and even tho I carry a lot of gauze and wrap, figured a few of the dressings would be appropriate, and the IPOK kit includes a C-A-T Combat Application Tourniquet https://www.narescue.com/C-A-T_-_Combat_Application_Tourniquet-CN33B7051138B3.html?BC=7B0A24087588.
That will probably be my upgrade for the year. Next will be replacing items as they go out of date.

dakdoc

Observer
Crawler#976
That's a great starter kit. With a little tweaking, you'll be set!

You'll save weight, space, and be able to treat just as many injuries by ditching the: cold compresses (heavy and short lived, never been proven to work anyway), wound wash and eye wash solution (can use drinking water instead), face shields (without an Automated External Defibrilator, cpr is usually pretty futile), coban (it's difficult to reuse, maybe consider swapping it for an ACE wrap or two), syringe (put all the kit in a zip lock bag, snip a small corner, and fill it with drinking water, squeezing it to force the irrigant out and onto the wound).

Have you considered adding a few small vials of tincture of benzoin (greatly improves adherence of your blister dressings and steri strips), an ACE wrap or two, and 3-4 tablets of OTC meds like benadryl, motrin, imodium. Get rid of the boxes (they'll get wet, place contents in ziplock bags instead). Your epi pen will likely expire before you'll use it, and the half life of epi is such that if you really and truely need epinephrine, you'll likely need a couple of them (not very efficient for the weight and space they takeup).

Remove the pack stays or struts (often located inside the fabric and right next to your back, gives the pack support) and take a SAM splint, cut it into two pieces, lay them together side by side lengthwise, and ducktape them together. Take em out if you need em. You can also likely re-use the tape.

Let us know when you first use your pack, we'd love to hear!

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles