Stanislaus National Forest...

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So I just got back from four days in the Calaveras district of the Stanislaus NF. Stayed in Sand Flat campground like last year and as usual it was quiet and clean (unlike the pay campground up top, whose manager was incredibly rude and whose bathrooms hadn't been cleaned or stocked in some time).

Anyway, my buddy and I headed up on Thurs to secure a place. Then the rest of the bachelor party arrived Friday night and things got really fun. :wings:

Saturday was spent running Corral Hollow trail (which has some beautiful vistas that I completely neglected to photograph). The Heep ran beautifully until 90deg heat and bouncy bouncy and a really nasty hill climb conspired to kill my venerable old Motorcraft 2100. Unfortunately, I had to be towed the rest of the way up the hill by my brother's Xterra so that we didn't block the trail. At the top, I let it sit for a while, pumped away at the gas a few dozen times, and it cranked right up. Rest of the drive went smooth as butter. Except that my ignition switch also locked "on" so turning off the truck involved pulling a wire.

A few pix...

Campsite
DSCF2934.JPG

DSCF2926.JPG

River was a little low, but still pretty
DSCF2929.JPG

DSCF2932.JPG

My first time actually firing the Nagant. Ranger said people from the campsite a mile away were complaining that someone was firing off a 12-gauge right next to the site. It was a tad loud, I admit :)
DSCF2954.JPG

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Leading the whippersnappers
DSCF2969.JPG

I liked this angle...
DSCF2982.JPG

Futon, feather pillow, down blanket, well-attached overhead light, and firepower. What more do you need?
DSCF2996.JPG

My brother plummets...
DSCF3003.JPG

It looks harder than it was. And it doesn't look that hard.....
DSCF3006.JPG

What camping is all about.
DSCF3031.JPG

Not Shown: The tail end of the meteor shower over an unpolluted dark sky. Gorgeous!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Nice Pics! May I ask who the guys are in the Xterras?

The front Xterra is my brother and the rear one is a good friend of his - on its first ever trip off road. My bro is (technically) a member here, though I'm not sure he has ever posted. Both X's are stock Off-Road packages with the exception of slightly upsized Geolandars on my brother's.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hehe... A few pix taken by my brother:

Suspension articulation? Who needs it???
n506992580_2899641_4080740.jpg

The view from the top
n506992580_2899644_2985879.jpg

Pucker factor, in a topheavy Jeep
n506992580_2899658_881837.jpg

When I've been out for a day or three, I start to look like someone you don't want to let near your daughter.
n506992580_2899632_1044011.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Had to share a few more that were just sent to me -

My brother outside a restaurant, with his shadow
_MG_8801.jpg

We were using the scope to try to read a sign on the next hill. Only realized when we looked at the pic that this looked REALLY bad with the beer
_MG_8842.jpg

One way street, two-way traffic. What you gonna do?
_MG_8874.jpg

This could be an ad for Jeep
_MG_8812.jpg

RedDog

Explorer
Love that big old Cherokee but I miss that honkin' orange pickup too. You certainly gained an advantage in sleeping arrangements though, that's for sure.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Love that big old Cherokee but I miss that honkin' orange pickup too. You certainly gained an advantage in sleeping arrangements though, that's for sure.

You and me both, but I gotta say - brakes that work, lights that work, and a heater really do spoil ya pretty quickly.

Dr_Gonzo

Hey, so is that BLM Land? Thought I'd ask since I saw the rifle. Also, care to share GPS coordinates or directions to the campsite? Thanks.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It is a National Forest, which means as long as you are more than 150yds from the nearest stream, campsite, or road (or 1mile from the nearest "permanent settlement") you can practice responsible target firing. We shot off probably 80rds through the Nagant and I have to say that thing is a pleasure to shoot. All my fears about dangerous kick (and having a 70 year old rifle blow up on me) were unfounded. Best $65 I ever spent :). We also fired a bunch of rounds through my Marlin .22, and the group next to us was open carrying a variety of handguns in belt holsters.

The campsite is called Sand Flat. It is first-come, first-served, but I have always had my choice of sites. It is 20-30min down a pretty rutted dirt road with two seasonal stream crossings. There are pit toilets that are kept very clean. It is literally the next turn past the $17/night campground that is right on Hwy 4. Only sign on the turn is a small yellow post that says "Wolfboro" (a boy scout camp).
Latitude: 38.41028
Longitude: -120.08111

REasley

Adventurer
Trying to keep the location secret?

Sand Flat is on the north fork of the Stanislaus at N38* 24.60 x W120 4.72, at the end of NF 7N02. It's down in the bottom of the canyon in Hells Kitchen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior