Stainless Steel trailer turned Earthroamer..?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Sorry if this doesn't go here...not sure where it should. I remember some years ago some guy built a global exploration truck using, basically, a stainless steel semi-trailer that held milk I think? It was fully self contained and was even boat capable! He was supposed to be "driving" it all around the world...I'd like mor informaition and maybe an update on his story if anyone remembers this?? Thanks all!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Doh!

Thanks Lynn....Not sure why I couln't remember what that thing was called...now I gotta read up and see how far he got!:wings:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
By 1996, Rick and Karen were out of patience and out of money leaving them no choice but to come home. The orbiter was in pretty good shape, but the same couldn't be said of their marriage. When they got back, Karen filed for divorce. "Nothing panned out quite as we had hoped," she says. But what about the Orbiter? Who would get it? Who would even want it?

EXTRA asks Karen, "Would you go again? ... with Rick?"

"Definitely not with Rick!" But that's not even an option since Karen can't afford to buy Rick's share. Now this couple's one-ton, one-time love nest is on the auction block.

Asking price? $200,000.00! Low mileage, easy payments!

Could you be the a next adventurer? The orbiter is ready to roll! Contact Rick Dobbertin.
Saturday April 3rd, 1999

Seeker

Adventurer
If memory serves, he and his wife made Cuba (from Florida) before turning back and getting divorced. Turned out his vehicle wasn't the weakest link in his plans. Unfortunate.

Really interesting concept though.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Now that thing is so UGLY, I think if you were to give it to me, I'd refuse to drive it!

I see alot of trucks that people say are ugly, but I can usually see something in them that I like, this one doesnt have any of that

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I remember Rick's crazy pro street car build, the J2000, being in all the car mags way back. Then there is the update to what he was building next, "That thing is just crazy!" I always wondred what became of it.

Hokie

Observer
I remember seeing this thing sitting at a body shop in Lynchburg VA sometime in the early to mid 90's. Not sure why it was there but it was right on the side of a fairly busy road and everyone was rubber necking to check it out and about cause several wrecks. Not sure if it's quite my speed but it was certainly impressive! I wonder who ever bought this thing and where it is now - someone's backyard or in a museum/private collection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke