Stainless 463 Fender brackets

otiswesty

Regular guy
I recently pulled my fender liners, arches and fenders off of my 1999 G500. I was dismayed by the condition of some of the brackets holding the plastic pieces in place. They had all rusted and some of them were getting a little thin. I remembered Hans Hehl had done a write up on fabricating stainless replacement brackets and decided that I would do the same.
http://www.hehlhans.de/engtipp1.htm
I ordered a couple of new brackets from Mercedes. They are normally $20 each retail, and 16 are required per vehicle. Not wanting to fork over $320 for a new set, I pounded one of them flat and ended up spending quite a bit of time working on a sheet of stainless before finally throwing in the towel. There is a sheet metal and fabrication shop down the street from where I work, so I brought in new dealer supplied flat and formed samples to get an estimate for making a handful of them. They used a CAD program and laser cut them, doing a nice job of duplicating the flattened bracket and with a couple of whacks with a hammer in a vise and I had new stainless brackets on the G. I ended up having a hundred of them cut and will be selling off the extras to cover my costs.

Attachments

• Rusty.jpg
    Rusty.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23
  • NewBracket.jpg
    NewBracket.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 25
  • SSBrackets.jpg
    SSBrackets.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Front%20Stainless.jpg
    Front%20Stainless.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Rear%20Stainless.jpg
    Rear%20Stainless.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 26

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have used 16 of these stainless brackets. Fully installed, about 2 minutes of labor per bracket for the bends. There are 84 pieces left over. I am trying to cover the costs of production and the 2 new brackets that I bought from the dealer.

So I have 5 extra sets of 16 brackets in stainless flat plate. $100 per set shipped.

G500camp@gmail.com

Please let me know if any one wants a set. I may keep an extra set for myself depending on if they sell quickly, as it is unlikely that I will make any more.

otiswesty

Regular guy
These are all sold.
I do have half a dozen singles left if any one wants them for $6 each, shipped. Just PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94