Stackable vertical wall containers

whitenoise

Adventurer
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have come across or are using HDPE or similar vertical wall containers for in-vehicle storage? Everything I am finding at the local places like HD etc. are designed to ship cheaply rather than maximise efficiency so they nest inside each other. I am looking for something that is similar to a milk crate, but slightly larger and with a lid. Doesn't have to be super heavy duty like pelican or hardigg cases, just something that can help organize gear and is reasonably sturdy (please, nothing from sterlite). I have looked at the action packers but they waste too much space and are not stackable.

Does such an animal exist and available inexpensively?

whitenoise

Adventurer
I think the tough system wastes quite a bit of space for what is added "toughness" but I dont think that's really necessary for storing stuff inside the truck.

The T-stak looks a lot more appealing though!

whitenoise

Adventurer
thank you guys for the replies and the video, it was pretty unscientific but informational nonetheless :) .

I checked out the really useful boxes at Office Depot and I think it fits the bill for now! They even have an "extra strong" version available on their website, seems worth checking out.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not home depot -or the local dollar store -and not hardig or pelican prices either

In the UK they are sold by JCB- in the US they are sold by ridgid.

Yep theres some room lost for the ribs etc, but you either want strong or soft....

They stack together and also lock to each other as well
strong enough to stand on with no issues, and have padlock hasps
Rubber seal to keep out water etc.

Weight wise less than pelican, and more than the usual storgae solutions

Light weight and strong are dificult to get within a usefull price range !

I have 2 large and 2 small for my away from home vehicle storage....thats the top two with no wheels

Ridgid-Pro-Tool-Boxes-Stacked.jpg

whitenoise

Adventurer
I have seen these at the local hd and they're nice for rugged storage. Inside a truck where they're stored 99% of the time, is that ruggedness and waterproof ability really needed, I wonder?

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Water resistant is always desirable. Waterproof just ensures they stay dry. Unless you don't like replacing lids. I've seen people get expensive boxes with all the features and then leave them out with the lids off negating the benefit of both the toughness and the waterproofness.

Personally, rugged isn't as important as a secure lid and good interlocking stacking. If you're stacked in the truck, you don't want them sliding off.

bugnout

Adventurer
I've been using the RUB's for about 4 years now. I have probably 10 around the house. I have both 17 and 32 liter boxes. I use a 17L for tools and another for supplies like fluids belts, extra filters etc. Both are packed full and I often cram down the lids and force the lid catches on. So far neither have popped off or broken.

I have three 32L boxes that are the basis of my camp kitchen and pantry. single burner stove, wash pan, dishes etc. I really like that you can see through them. So far have only broken a lid, when I left it on the ground flat and I stepped on it and broke the lip of the lid.

cparcell

Observer
Military surplus aluminum medical cases stack great and can be secured easily. They are also water proof and tuff. You can get the legs to change them into a simple study table out of each one. You can get new unused for around 100 and the leg pieces are aroynd 25 bucks or less.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I recently bought four Wolf Packs and so far I really like them. They are well built, interlocking, the tops secure tight and they make good use of the space. I can fit the four, along with my cooler in the back of the Jeep and it's all almost level, so I can put a second layer of soft gear on top. The latches are also replaceable in the event they break. I expect these will last me for a long time. I was tired of using storage containers that didn't make good use of their space and broke too easily.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Why rugged....I've had a whole bunch of diferent standard storage box's where they are designed down to a price, rather than up to a standard.
be serious they are designed for storing socks and last years christmas decorations under the bed.
and usually disolve under offroading conditions

Flimsy, only stack if the one on top holds toilet paper
Cant be stood on or sat on
Can't double as stools
why water proof,......err river crossings- rain use outside - leaky fluids inside during roll over- containing smell of muddy tow rope and leaky bbq lighter fluid
Can be used on roof rack if required
Can be secured individually by padlock
Can be bolted or strapped down without them becoming crushed
Can be secured in place so they don't move arround down a corrogated or bumpy road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior