SSF556 Build Up - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

jpat30

Adventurer
Scootr,

What is the gear ratio in your axles, I know that it is different for grands with the CRD and the Hemi, but I cant find the info online anywhere... Thanks in advance.

Charles R

Adventurer
Both my hemi and CRD have 3.73's. I think only the 3.7L was available with a 3.07 or optional 3.55 ratio.

More info...

jpat30

Adventurer
Thank you both so much for the information and the link. I am currently on the hunt for a CRD powered WK with the QD 2 powertrain to replace my well-built and well traveled WJ which I sold in 17.

jpat30

Adventurer
Tell me about it; the trouble has been finding one that doesn't already have 150-200k miles on them. In your opinion, how many miles is the 3.0 good for assuming regular maintenance?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Tell me about it; the trouble has been finding one that doesn't already have 150-200k miles on them. In your opinion, how many miles is the 3.0 good for assuming regular maintenance?
I work with several large fleets that run Sprinter vans and they see the 3.0 go well over 200,000 miles in an urban stop and go environment. Buying a used vehicle with that many miles is always going to be a risk no matter the manufacturer. With those miles I would be worried about the Diesel Particulate Filter and how clogged it is.

Charles R

Adventurer
Someone on my WK Facebook group was just looking for one. I did a quick search on searchtempest.com using "diesel jeep" and found three for sale in the $10k range. Mileage wasn't crazy either.

Iirc, one was in Washington. Another wss in Montana. Can't remember where the third one was. I think two were red, and one was green.

Happy hunting!

jpat30

Adventurer
"I did a quick search on searchtempest.com using "diesel jeep" and found three for sale in the $10k range. Mileage wasn't crazy either."

I hadn't heard of that resource. Thanks for the heads up, I ll give it a try.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Both my hemi and CRD have 3.73's. I think only the 3.7L was available with a 3.07 or optional 3.55 ratio.

More info...

I think I once read that in those years, part of the criteria for “Trail Rated” badging in those years was 3:73. My ‘07 Commander is Trail Rated & has 3:73

Last edited:

KUJeeper82

I picked up my CRD 3.0L Overland with 70k miles in 2013 and it's now at 156k. I recommend avoiding any used WK with over 100k miles unless it's an absolute steal. I keep a tracking spreadsheet for all the goofy stuff that has broken and its cost me alot over the years.

It's in the shop today getting the upper and lower ball joints replaced... there goes another $750. Yes, I could do it myself but value my free time more.

Last edited:

jeepgc

Adventurer
Hi Scootr,

Good to see your WK is going well.

What do you think about the Cooper AT3s, or will you know better after your Thanksgiving trip?

Have a great trip BTW.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Hi Scootr,

Good to see your WK is going well.

What do you think about the Cooper AT3s, or will you know better after your Thanksgiving trip?

Have a great trip BTW.
First impression is that they are so much quieter than the ST Maxx I replaced. So much so I actually hear wind noise now, something I have not heard in 5 years! (The ST Maxx will still be used for trail runs).

The trip last night was 9 hours of moderate rain and running 72mph not once did I have any hydroplaning. The wind was crazy so no real MPG results but I imagine I will see better MPG. Plus they are lighter than the ST Maxx and I mounted them on the OEM Aluminum wheel vs the Steel wheel ST Maxx.

Great tire so far. I am hoping to get some snow use while in MI.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Excellent, sound good in the wet.

Am looking for new tyres for my hemi, so will take a look, have no idea at the moment.

Hopefully you'll get some snow action to report on, but not too much.

Happy thanksgiving.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles