SRW vs DRW? Planning to install a coach on a Ford Super Duty but can't decide on wheel configuration (dually?)

Would you go single or dually for a ski trip vehicle that wants to do some light overlanding too?

• Single Rear Wheel

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Dual Rear Wheel

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Transhaus

Planned rig: Hard side coach installed directly onto Ford Super Duty chassis by Phoenix Popup/Coyote RV. Dry weight of coach 2900lb.

Planned use: Primary purpose is to be the ultimate ski rig. So I will be spending lots of time on paved roads in poor conditions. But I would also like to be able to take some BLM fire roads in the off season and maybe down to Baja for surf trips. I will not be doing any aggressive offroading.

Current status: I have placed initial payment on the coach and have been placed on the build schedule 13 months from now. I am looking to acquire the truck chassis in 8-10 month time frame. I have been mulling over SRW vs DRW. I understand DRW have offroad issues (rocks getting caught between wheels causing blowouts, greater width limiting accessibility) that SRW don't have. But I like the idea of greater payload with a dually and more stable weight distribution across all the tires. I would rather be significantly overtrucked than barely adequate for the weight I'm carrying.

Questions:
- What do you guys think is a better choice for my needs?
- SRW vs DRW in ice/snow conditions? Any experience?
- Dually on fire roads or sand? Any experience?
- Anything else I should be considering that you think I missed?

Thanks in advance!

-Aleks

*Attached pic of similar rig built by same company so you have an idea of what I'm getting into*

Attachments

• Example pick of RV build front side profile.jpg
    Example pick of RV build front side profile.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 119

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
keep the dual, reduce your headaches, maintain same load per inch of width of tire (critical for off road), use stock wheels and tire sizes. Rocks are really not a problem especially in your situation. duals have better stability on the road too - unless you get vv heavy duty tire.

Do you plan to allow flex in the frame? or attach directly to body? a solid attachment to body means less flex and more difficulties keeping equal load on all 4 corners when off road. that cargo must float by some mechanism and be supported across the entire length of the truck frame.

be sure to get limited slip axles or lockers - either - better for off road and snow.

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
if you are really going to build that tall or be anywhere near your GVW then I recommend increasing the sway bars one size (third party), MUCH better on road stability. they can be easily detached or disabled for serious off road.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I'm not a fan of duals anywhere that I have to make a track, snow, sand, mud, etc. In that situation I want my tires to be mostly following each other.
If I'm haul a heavy load, or a tall one, I like really like them. They also let you basically have three spares in just normal use, (not when loaded).

If that camper's loaded right and it's mostly air in the upper half ;-] I wouldn't be concerned and would definitely be running singles on it for the places you're talking about going.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Drw.

2900 is a fat pig to have on your back. And expect it to just get heavier. I want to stay under 2000 with my srw. Drw's have served me well off road and on backroads. Just limited tire selection, and ground clearance.

Another option is a F550 with a super single tire conversion.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I run a F450 ski rig. Been DRW and SRW now.

DRW: it will wander in the snow, no two ways around it. Its not the end of the world if you know its coming, just feels a little funny. Snow will pack between them, but it never really caused me any issues. I always just chained up the outer dual, but dualie chains could be run if wanted.

SRW: no safety net in case of a blowout. Tacks better in snow. Can air down more than with duals (they wont touch in the middle). My track is still off 1/2 a tread width ish, but it tracks much better. Long wheelbase will still not be in the tracks on turns.

2900# dry? 350/3500 SRW hands down. You can easily get 18 and 20 inch 35s with 4080# capacity which will be 1000# more than the stock rear axle rating.

This! if you can stay under 8k rear axle run a LT 20" tire.

if you are really going to build that tall or be anywhere near your GVW then I recommend increasing the sway bars one size (third party), MUCH better on road stability. they can be easily detached or disabled for serious off road.

Agreed here also, the big Hellwig sway bar on the rear is well worth it. I dont find it binds things up much for the type of offroad your thinking of (and what I do). Its already sprung stiff for the weight.

Reactions: mog

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Here is another vote for SRW. I would never run duals on a camper that is going off the pavement.

b3b829b4e38bffc180d13d8bfad97186.jpg
6d68dfb9d2d2cce7ecd5507eeee73264.jpg

Transhaus

I run a F450 ski rig. Been DRW and SRW now.

DRW: it will wander in the snow, no two ways around it. Its not the end of the world if you know its coming, just feels a little funny. Snow will pack between them, but it never really caused me any issues. I always just chained up the outer dual, but dualie chains could be run if wanted.

SRW: no safety net in case of a blowout. Tacks better in snow. Can air down more than with duals (they wont touch in the middle). My track is still off 1/2 a tread width ish, but it tracks much better. Long wheelbase will still not be in the tracks on turns.

This! if you can stay under 8k rear axle run a LT 20" tire.

Agreed here also, the big Hellwig sway bar on the rear is well worth it. I dont find it binds things up much for the type of offroad your thinking of (and what I do). Its already sprung stiff for the weight.

Thanks for the advice. Helps to have someone who has the experience doing exactly what I plan on doing. So you converted your dually to super single? Any pics or vids of your rig?

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice. Helps to have someone who has the experience doing exactly what I plan on doing. So you converted your dually to super single? Any pics or vids of your rig?

Yes, I went from DRW to SRW. Still running a 19.5 tire, which I am not completely sold on, but its better in the snow for sure.

48743913841_8170fb8a24_b.jpg

Long build thread....

Transhaus

Also thanks to everyone for the advice! I think I have made up my mind. Gonna go with the super single conversion. As luck would have it there is a company that does it, Buckstop Truckware, located just 30 minutes from me! I guess it was meant to be. Sounds like its gonna be around 16k including installation (that includes 5 wheels and 5 continental 335/80R20 radial tires, 3.5 inch suspension lift including replacement coils and radius arms, 8" fender flares, running board steps, and extra wide bumper with grill guard). Fair price? Here is a link if you are curious https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-wheel-conversion-1769.html

java

Expedition Leader
Also thanks to everyone for the advice! I think I have made up my mind. Gonna go with the super single conversion. As luck would have it there is a company that does it, Buckstop Truckware, located just 30 minutes from me! I guess it was meant to be. Sounds like its gonna be around 16k including installation (that includes 5 wheels and 5 continental 335/80R20 radial tires, 3.5 inch suspension lift including replacement coils and radius arms, 8" fender flares, running board steps, and extra wide bumper with grill guard). Fair price? Here is a link if you are curious https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-wheel-conversion-1769.html
Buckstop makes nice things, but I would reconsider the Mpt81's....

@HowardH might give some input. He has buckstop stuff on his f450

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles