SRW conversion

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I hesitate to ask such a seemingly ignorant question here, but what is the purpose of converting a DRW truck to SRW? I love my dual rears for their stability and weight carrying ability, but there must be some advantage to SRW when it comes to expedition vehicles. Please educate me. :confused:

JP

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Not an expert but this is what I have come up with, researching the duel vs. super singles for rear wheel set-ups.
I would welcome other expert/layperson opinions also.

Super Singles
Much better mud and sand performance (do to rear wheels following the track of the front wheels)
Better selection for off-road tires (some limited availability because of current government contracts)
Greater ground clearance do to larger size tires in general (factory equipment vehicles are geared accordingly)
Do not pick up rocks between the tires (duel rears can minimize this with a mounted 'rock-pick')
Plus the 'cool' off-road look

Duel rear tires
Factory set-up (other then Unimog, Mann, Ural, etc) warranty and liability issues if changed?
( Darrin Fink's write-up on SRW conversions--http://www.ruf-inc.com/srt.htm )
Greater load capacity with less expensive tires (load can be match with some super singles)
Better flat / blow-out protection
Much cheaper tires / wheels for a given load range
Great selection / availably (depending on wheel size and tread pattern)
Lighter in weight is a benefit for carrying spare(s) and tire changes

Last edited:

Guinness44

Adventurer
There are a lot of trails we squeeze thrugh, were a dualrearwheel PU just wouldnot fit anymore. But big trailers and/or huge slidins are more stable with the dually (like a 3 horsetrailer or more, with the "moving" load.)

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Maybe another stupid question, but why not just buy a SRW truck to begin with? I think I must be missing something obvious here.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Curmudgeon said:
Maybe another stupid question, but why not just buy a SRW truck to begin with? I think I must be missing something obvious here.

I think it is mainly a factor with people that are using Class 4 and above commercial trucks such as Mitsubishi Fusos, NDs, Ivecos (my case), Isuzus, etc as a base for their 'expedition truck' that do not offer a SRW option.

boblynch

Adventurer
The short answer is payload. An 08 F350 SRW has a GVWR of 11500 and an 08 F550 DRW is available with an optional 19000 GVWR. Since the curb weight of the F550 isn't that much more, the payload is 3+ times that of the F350.

Folks that are able to convert the F550 to SRW (e.g., Earthroamer, TurtleV, etc.) with upgraded wheels and tires are able to achieve near max GVWR along with the benefits of SRW. The big thing everyone struggles with is getting the wheel/tire setup correct.

Bob

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
boblynch said:
The short answer is payload. An 08 F350 SRW has a GVWR of 11500 and an 08 F550 DRW is available with an optional 19000 GVWR. Since the curb weight of the F550 isn't that much more, the payload is 3+ times that of the F350.

Folks that are able to convert the F550 to SRW (e.g., Earthroamer, TurtleV, etc.) with upgraded wheels and tires are able to achieve near max GVWR along with the benefits of SRW. The big thing everyone struggles with is getting the wheel/tire setup correct.

Bob
Thank you. I think I see the light.

Can I assume the big hassle is finding a wheel/tire combo that works both front and rear, so you don't have to carry separate spares?

boblynch

Adventurer
Curmudgeon said:
Thank you. I think I see the light.

Can I assume the big hassle is finding a wheel/tire combo that works both front and rear, so you don't have to carry separate spares?

Getting a compromise offset so you can use a common spare is one problem. There are a few other hurdles. You may want to check out the following thread I started on the subject. It captures everything I've been able to find so far. http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12380

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles