SRW 450 Mountain Build

C p weinberger

Have you checked out the Everlander build blog on YouTube?
They went way over the top on the build complexity but you might find some useful info as they did instal engine heater system and large SRW wheels. They also upgraded front clip to some off-road/ Baja Fiberglass components to cover the front wheels
Good luck

cph05a

Have you checked out the Everlander build blog on YouTube?
They went way over the top on the build complexity but you might find some useful info as they did instal engine heater system and large SRW wheels. They also upgraded front clip to some off-road/ Baja Fiberglass components to cover the front wheels
Good luck
These are great. This guy definitely has the best looking fender flares of the big 41" SRW trucks I've seen. It's a bit more than I'm going to tackle with mine though :) I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hitting a lot of trees and bushes with my plastic fender flares so it's probably not such a bad thing that mine as a little simpler.

I will admit that I might have done something similar to his rasberry pi android auto display had I known about that beforehand. I already bought and installed a 7" pioneer head unit with android auto though.

cph05a

Updates! The cosmetic repairs on the exterior are done and primed for paint, and I installed two 250W oil pan heaters.

I've been trying to get a spare wheel put together, but I keep running into problems. First DBL Design sent me the wheel but forgot the studs and O-right, then they sent me the wrong studs which I'm still trying to resolve with them. They've been a difficult company to work with but they do seem like quality wheels and they're DOT legal, which was really important to me. On a positive note, I did find a local shop called BestDrive that sells used MPT81 tires at a really good price.

Also, the camper build has started! Phoenix pop up is working on fitting this to the truck and the windows so it's likely that it'll change a bit, but it was exciting to see the outline start to take shape. The frame in the picture has an 11" tall cabover (not including the roof) and it has since been increased to 13" for just a little bit more room while the top is down. My best guess is that the completed build on the truck will be around 8ft 10in tall (give or take a couple inches) which isn't too bad considering the new tires and suspension lifted the truck 9" over stock (5" from the wheels and a 4" lift).

Fatboyz

Observer
How used are the MPT 81's and what were they worth? In Canada they're $700.00 a tire new and no used ones around.

cph05a

How used are the MPT 81's and what were they worth? In Canada they're $700.00 a tire new and no used ones around.

The one I got was $150 and it had most of the tread remaining. I got to go dig through the tires they had and pick one I liked. They quoted me $565 for a new one, but I opted for the $150 used one for for my spare.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I've been trying to get a spare wheel put together, but I keep running into problems. First DBL Design sent me the wheel but forgot the studs and O-right, then they sent me the wrong studs which I'm still trying to resolve with them. They've been a difficult company to work with but they do seem like quality wheels and they're DOT legal, which was really important to me. ...

Caveat emptor! Sounds like David Little is back from the dead. There are lots of folks who have reported poor results with this gentleman. (Google is your friend.)

Hopefully, you will be the exception.

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm going with 1st attack wheels on my 550. I have an 8 bolt pattern. I guess new tires aren't so bad here $565 US in Canadian is $740!

Darwin

Explorer
What is the length of the box portion of the camper? And what is your cab to axle length? It looks like 60"

Fatboyz

Observer
I talked with 1st attack over the phone several times. They're pretty responsive but they're 20x11 and I was really wanting 20x10 and that DOT cert.

On the positive side, Dbl Design did send me the correct studs so I've got a working spare now!

View attachment 527078
I called DBL first but they're not making the 8 bolt pattern I need anytime soon. Not sure how long "anytime soon is" but that was 6 months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles