Spur of the moment backcountry tour

thecriscokid

Explorer
I woke up yesterday like any other day. A few plans were canceled/postponed so I wasn't sure what I would do for the day. I put some camera gear in a bag and got in my truck. I already had plenty of water and "enough" food to go have a look around, basically always packed somewhat . Beans, rice, Corzo Tequila, tortillas, hot suace,, oatmeal. the basics live in there.
I have heard some of the local mountain passes still had snow and were not passable yet.
Hmm, time to fill up the tanks and go look see...
I ended up putting in a 90 miles with only 3 of those being paved to complete a loop that I have never had a vehicle to explore all within 12 miles of my house.
Boy, how owning an 80 series changes things:sombrero:

I headed up Pearl Pass (in CO) that I heard was still snowed in
IMG_2844.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2845.jpg

Sure enough there was snow. About a hundred yards to the other side. It was a gully with a road bed built though so you dont want to wander off the road bed on this snow bank. I saw a few moto tracks but no signs of 4x. I figured I'd see what happens. It was slightly up hill and took a dozen or so (full locked) attempts. All was good. didn't sink much and didn't get stuck

IMG_2854.jpg

I then ran into a jeep club that said "if you don't like 40* leans with snow, I wouldn't go over the top" I said "ah, you guys just did, right?"

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

Not so bad.
Look on the bright side
IMG_2863.jpg

There has always been this allure about Pearl Pass. Mostly because I haven't had a truck to drive some of the more "tech" spots. Mostly just pretty flowers though
IMG_2868.jpg

thecriscokid

Explorer
The other side was just as nice
IMG_2879.jpg

Got a bit rocky here in the Rocky Mountains

Stopped to talk to some locals about the fishing
IMG_2897.jpg

Just black stares. I think they speak spanish. Habla english umpoko?

Stopped for lunch
IMG_2890.jpg

Was very tempted to stop in Crested Butte (pointed Laccolith) But just headed back they other way
Back into the trees

IMG_2901.jpg

The trail going up Reno Divide got a little tight in spots
IMG_2906.jpg

I had just found a Nissan mud flap and picked it up. Then I found the Nissan
IMG_2909.jpg

Now it was dusk, plowing over coffee tale sized rocks on Upper Reno Divide and staring at that Nissan. Man that road is skinny.

Found a "great little spot with a view"
Next morning
IMG_2915.jpg

I might stay at this place next time. Very reasonable rates. They recommend bringing your own comforter though
IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Off to some buff dirt road on my way to Taylor pass
IMG_2947.jpg

Don't forget
IMG_2952.jpg

Things got back to normal once I was on Taylor Pass
IMG_2956.jpg

Here are the bumps in the road
IMG_2964.jpg

Yep, Just barely keeping that sidewall safe. Self spotting
IMG_2965.jpg

A few more bumps and turns and... Fishing
IMG_2966.jpg

From there I raced a bunch of Motos across Richmond ridge and back home.
IMG_2967.jpg

All in all a pretty nice chain of events

timaus13

Observer
Nice trip

Thankyou for sharing your trip I like to do the same here in Tasmania duck out for an overnight jaunt or even a couple of nights just my truck / camera and food.

cheers

McKBrew

Thanks for sharing. Colorado has some of the most amazing trails that I plan to actually see in person some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94