Sprinter coach built RV in 4wd?

Len.Barron

Observer
Found it.

Here is there hybrid front axle setup. Atlas twin stick Tcase, beefy front diff. Front hubs/speed sensors and suspension is all factory 4x4. I figure its gotta be cheaper to buy a used NCV3 cab-chassis, and have this kit installed. Minimal extra lift, good ride, factory electronics. I have zero other knowledge about this outfit, and don't know anyone who has a conversion by them.
That's a serious set up there...customized dana high pinion front axle and divorced atlas with cable shift set up is probably $12k by themselves..

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's a serious set up there...customized dana high pinion front axle and divorced atlas with cable shift set up is probably $12k by themselves..
Yeah, 30k total probably. But what is a new 4x4 cab chassis? Well used 2wd units are in the 35k range? So not totally out of line at 65k all in?

jus passin thru

Adventurer
You really should look into what it costs to maintain one of those high mpg sprinters, those numbers change things. When you own a Mercedes you get it serviced by Mercedes. Check out the costs associated with the emission system. It starts to make big American iron and Oil Changers are Us look good. M

Paddy

Adventurer
In our case it’s less about the total economy of money and more about the titilating satisfaction of getting 20+ mpg in a big camper. If it were about dollars entered then I’d surely be looking elsewhere in hobbies in general!

30k$ is not bad for a turnkey solution like that at all. Would definitely add a lot of value to the camper too.

Wazak

In our case it’s less about the total economy of money and more about the titilating satisfaction of getting 20+ mpg in a big camper. If it were about dollars entered then I’d surely be looking elsewhere in hobbies in general!

30k$ is not bad for a turnkey solution like that at all. Would definitely add a lot of value to the camper too.
If I remember correctly Oberainger quoted me 14,400 Euro to convert my 4.5tonne Rear wheel drive Renault Master to 4x4.
I haven't progressed with this at the moment due to a shortage of funds.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Your not going to get 20+ mpg in a big camper, the B+ 2 wd’s Sprinters Get about 18, so you might want to dial back your thrill level back. M

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Your not going to get 20+ mpg in a big camper, the B+ 2 wd’s Sprinters Get about 18, so you might want to dial back your thrill level back. M

No kidding. My 2017 2500 4x4 high roof with 265s average 15-16mpg. Stock, empty, no roof rack 18mpg highway.
Maybe stripping emissions and tuning will help a couple mpgs but cruising down the highway in a full 4x4 rv at 20mpg is dreaming.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
The 4 cylinder diesel Sprinters average 24-26 MPG. The V6s are usually under 20, and most 4x4 V6s get 17 MPG. Unfortunately to get factory 4x4 it has to be paired with the V6. I'd love to see an aftermarket solution to pair the 4 cyl/7-speed with a good 4WD system. I'm not a fan of the factory Sprinter system.

Ken
"Built, not bought." 2016 Sprinter 4 Cylinder Diesel. https://ourkaravan.com

Paddy

Adventurer
How about this for a base vehicle, I know that it's not a camper/ overland vehicle but it's a base to build on.
That would be neat, but we never got those stateside until like 2016 and we can’t import stuff newer than 25yrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94