Sprinter coach built RV in 4wd?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
None yet that ive seen. Cab/chassis 4wd are really rare. Winnebago did make the Revel, but that's standard van body.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you got a t1N, I know a guy who is working on a project... ;)

Paddy

Adventurer
I do have a t1n, but it’s a 3500. We are considering a larger coach built class C, and thought hey, they come in 4wd now! But alas, the damn suits keep holding us from what we want. Same story as it ever was. Grrrr.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Winnebago makes the Revel and the ERA both on Sprinters. Road Trek was building on Sprinter and Quigly Chevys before the went belly up last year. These are class B’s. Someone also builds a class C on the Chevy medium duty truck chassis. M

grampswrx

Observer
i saw one that someone had converted to 4x4. It was one of the big conversion companies that did it. Whitefeather/quigley/advanced 4x4 or something. It was pretty nice.

DCGibbs

Observer
Paddy, Alan at Sportsmobile is using both the 4X Sprinter frame, and a Quigley Built Ford Transit. Alan's been at this a long time and does quality work. However, you're limit to carrying capacity, and layouts. If you have Kids, you'll need Crew Seats, which then limits floor space. When you look at all the work that EarthRoamer puts into the Ford Chassis', I have wondered why not start out with a Factory Built Navistar chassis. As I have written in the past that to use larger chassis allows for larger cabins, but let complicates things if you wanting to ship it to South America for a trip to Patagonia. Gibbs

Paddy

Adventurer
The problem i see with non sprinter based coaches is that they don’t have that euro van comfort for driving, and they also don’t get the MPG that Mercedes does. Not even close in fact. The sprinter chassis is really brilliant in those two key regards. Big dumb truck based campers are wasted space and fuel. Cool that they have 4wd tho. Well it looks like they do offer the 3500 chassis in 4x4 so it might be possible to custom order one. I’ll have to call around and see what they say.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It is possible to order a chassis, have it sent to allrad, then shipped to the USA (north American spec). You could then have the RV bits added. That would be a loooong wait though. Plus some 25k$ in costs.

You can order the 3500 cab/chassis with 4x4 since mid 2018. But its a special order. Since most coach builders don't order it, and because there is a strict limit on 4x4s sold in the USA, they are really rare. (this is due to oberaingers diff production limits).

If you can find a wrecked 4x4 sprinter with the right diff ratio, you can transfer the front axle assembly over, and use a custom Tcase. Mostly bolt-on.

There was a company that used MB factory front knuckles, hubs, subframe, spring, and CV axles. They used a custom diff and Tcase. This cuts out the really hard to fine MB front diff, and allows for a beefy front diff and Tcase (like atlas). It was something like 20k. There is no reason that could not be done to a cab/chassis. I will see if I can find the website.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Found it.

Here is there hybrid front axle setup. Atlas twin stick Tcase, beefy front diff. Front hubs/speed sensors and suspension is all factory 4x4. I figure its gotta be cheaper to buy a used NCV3 cab-chassis, and have this kit installed. Minimal extra lift, good ride, factory electronics. I have zero other knowledge about this outfit, and don't know anyone who has a conversion by them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94