Sprinter 4x4 or Provan Tiger.

czunc

So we’reready to build a new travel rig but I’m stuck trying to decide between an extended SMB sprinter w/ 4x4 or a Bengal Tiger. We travel long distances across the US vandalism Canada visiting national parks. 4wd is a must dues to mud and snow but I don’t do hard core off road. I want the pass through convenience for safety and ability to access the rear while traveling. Due to winter travel, an indoor shower along with cassette toilet would be a must. I’m looking for suggestions or pros and cons that I might have missed.

Joe917

Explorer
Sprinter, I really dislike the long front hood of American pick ups. Look at a composting toilet over a cassette.

czunc

Sprinter, I really dislike the long front hood of American pick ups. Look at a composting toilet over a cassette.
I don’t think the composting toilet works for us. We typically leave our rig in different parts of the US and fly back and forth. It might sit for 2 or 3 months at a time before we make it back to wherever we left it.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I was where you were last year (although my use much different) was heavily deciding between a Tiger and a Sprinter Van. Long story short, nixed Sprinter due to difficulties with repair away from big cities so leaned towards Ford's Transit and getting 4x4 done. The extended vans rear overhang was also big concern for type of arrears we go to. Other choice was Provan Tiger which I love, it had all we wanted and I went to their shop twice, once with a blank check in wallet.

Ultimately I decided on a 2001 Chinook Concourse XL, put a 4.5" lift with AT tires and while not 4x4, it is great in snow and washboard FS, dirt roads and off-grid. Due to size and weight I do not really use where I need 4x4 but clearance is issue, hence the lift. I am on east coast and my biggest issue is the narrow fireroads and low canopy, but I would have same problem with Tiger, less so with van.

The Chinnok has much more room than van but less than Tiger. It really is nice compromise.

Sorry, I guess I got off-topic but I did want to give an option, but to your question, I think the Tiger is much more serviceable in any town, more comfortable due to larger layout with two sleeping areas, or one sleeping and one sitting area, and whereas vans feel cramped the Tiger feels spacious, very spacius, and if you are building the Provan people are great to work with and have very good reputation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles